Not the beat I've ever done.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mark

Mark

I received 40 plus cartridge casings from a friend of mine. All are 270 Winchester shells. So I decided to start cutting on them and see what happened.

Here is my first Custom Brass Pen.

I used innards from a Copper Slim line. Metal polish on the brass, but no further buffing or polishing. Just working out the design for now.

I had to add the CB due to the drift while drilling the base to fit a 7mm tube. Once I iron out drilling dead center, I'll start developing the design a bit.

Thanks for Looking. All comment appreciated.

My Collet set should be in anytime, so I will then try drilling on the lathe. (Just didn't want everyone saying drill it on the lathe.):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Attachments

• Bullet 0003.jpg
    Bullet 0003.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 418
  • Bullet 0004.jpg
    Bullet 0004.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 188
  • Bullet 0005.jpg
    Bullet 0005.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The best part, is that your working to expand your skills. We all have those pens that didnt quite work out as well as we thought they would when we started. Either the design or the mechanics of putting it together didnt work out but its a great way to learn.
Mike

PaulDoug

Nice work Mark. There are only two things I would like different and these are only my preferences, doesn't make them right. I'd like the centerband to be closer to the same diameter of the butt of the cartridges, and I donot care for the non-bullet nibs. You need real bullets...:wink: The streamline kit has a centerband that looks good, but I don't think they come in copper, maybe they do. Here is what the centerband looks like.

Attachments

• Pen 36 8-2008 S.JPG
    Pen 36 8-2008 S.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 183

Mark

Mike, I seem to learn something with every pen I create. I truly hope that never stops. I'm having a blast.

Paul, Thanks for the advice. Eventually, I'd like to do away with a CB altogether. Once I get my Collet set, I'll try using a real bullet. Until then, I'm using what I have.
Thanks much. I appreciate the responses.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
It may not be the best you've ever done, but it is certainly not the worst I've ever seen. Looking forward to seeing v.2.

Mark

Thanks Mike. I put another together last evening (rather really early this morning), but ended up taking it apart before leaving for work today.

I think I need a gallon parts bin. I can see the trial and error process giving me a lot of different pieces to work with... :eek::eek::eek:

wizard

Mark,
I think you did a great job for your first brass pen. Cut yourself a little slack. I got a 50 caliber bullet from a friend of mine and I'm still scratching my head. :rolleyes:. Good job. Looking forward to version 2 !!!
Doc

Mark

Thanks Doc. I just added two more different configs. The third pic is a design that Barry Gross published in one of his books.

The first is two 270 cartridges.
The second is a 308 and 30.06 paired up.
The third is again a 30.06 and a 308 butted up to one another. (drilled centerline this time...)

The first one would look nicer with a custom turned center band.They still look good and once you get your collet set the quality of your work will expand

ToddMR

Looking good Mark. I personally like it using two casings with that pen. I think the cb looked fine on that one.

PaulDoug

Mark, just in case you didn't already know, you can buy pen parts from "woodnwhimsies" on the Internet, like 7mm transmissions, clips, center bands. Saves buying kits and using their parts.

Daniel

Mark, not that it helps a lot since everyone's taste is different. But I like the first one the best. You can do a lot of things with the center band but the reversed casings are simply more pleasing to look at for me. I would not be ashamed of any of them.
After drilling and what not over 500 50 cal sets. I wish the ruined parts would fit in a gal jug. They make great test pieces for the next idea though.

kruzzer

Mark,
really nice work on the cartridge pens. The design is really well done. Also the photo layout is a nice touch. Keep up the great work..

Mark

Thanks very much Rich. Each pen is a learning experience. I love playing with different designs. Just having a blast..

CV Wood

Those are terrific I like the 3rd one with the casings back to back. Mark did you solder the tubs in place?

Top Bottom