Not to bad for a new hobby.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiz9777

wiz9777

It was never ment to be pretty, but it doesn't leak and I learned how to do it without having the proper mandrels. I used my blank drilling chuck to hold it while I turned it. Not to smart, but for a "see if I can do it" project, it worked. The first section was much better, but it snapped. This section I had to try to turn it to fit. I used the nib and feed from my Kaweco sport, everything else I made from spare blanks. It is an eyedropper fountain pen. I actually liked doing this project enough that I am going to order some Kaweco calligraphy nibs and make some proper ones. And yes, I will try to make a cap for the next one. But first I will get some steel rod to make a mandrel.

BTW... I got my lathe 3 weeks ago and never used one before, or a tap and die set for that matter. When I got it, I made 3 tycoon pens. Then I made a small segmented fruit bowl. Finally this project. I can't wait to get good at this, so my wife can cast some silver parts for my pens. She is a very talented jeweler and has carved some very ornate rings. It won't take much transfer that skill to making parts for my pens.

Thanks in advance for any comments or criticisms. It's how I learn.

Attachments

• 528968_3824423122903_574011297_n.jpg
    528968_3824423122903_574011297_n.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 352
  • IMAG0791.jpg
    IMAG0791.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 260
  • IMAG0774.jpg
    IMAG0774.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 297
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toyotaman

Those look pretty good to be your first ones. The one in the first picture needed to be reverse painted to keep the blue from showing through but the turning went well on it.

wiz9777

Thanks for the encouragement.
I was planning on using a steel rod and friction fit (maybe with a layer of tape) it to the inside, to turn my next one.

Any suggestions?

ericd

Thanks for the encouragement.
I was planning on using a steel rod and friction fit (maybe with a layer of tape) it to the inside, to turn my next one.

Any suggestions?

Search for "closed end mandrel". There are a number of threads and several articles on how to make them.

Nice first effort.
Eric

robutacion

It was never ment to be pretty, but it doesn't leak and I learned how to do it without having the proper mandrels. I used my blank drilling chuck to hold it while I turned it. Not to smart, but for a "see if I can do it" project, it worked. The first section was much better, but it snapped. This section I had to try to turn it to fit. I used the nib and feed from my Kaweco sport, everything else I made from spare blanks. It is an eyedropper fountain pen. I actually liked doing this project enough that I am going to order some Kaweco calligraphy nibs and make some proper ones. And yes, I will try to make a cap for the next one. But first I will get some steel rod to make a mandrel.

BTW... I got my lathe 3 weeks ago and never used one before, or a tap and die set for that matter. When I got it, I made 3 tycoon pens. Then I made a small segmented fruit bowl. Finally this project. I can't wait to get good at this, so my wife can cast some silver parts for my pens. She is a very talented jeweler and has carved some very ornate rings. It won't take much transfer that skill to making parts for my pens.

Thanks in advance for any comments or criticisms. It's how I learn.

Wow, never turned or used thread cutters before and only in 3 weeks already making these type pens, and without the proper gear...???

You are either very smart or have an amazing brain/hands coordination, they call it a "natural talent...!"

However, and please don't take this as a negative criticism, as is absolutely not, there is one give away that 99% of new pen turners fall into, and believe me we all been there, done that but is interesting to see that, the one thing, new pen turners do (like it or not, aware or not) is the large "belly's" on the pen barrels, that my friend is an interesting fact that I would like one day, someone to be able to explain that to me...!:wink:

But, don't worry, in no time and with some more tools to help you, you will be doing some serious pen making, that I can envisage and with an artistic wife as you say you have, I will be looking forwards to see how you both combine the silver art into pen making...!

In the mean time, enjoy what you're doing, that will be your biggest reward as money making, may take a while to catch up...!

I apologise for my honest bluntness...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

wiz9777

"However, and please don't take this as a negative criticism"

There is no such thing. It is the only way we learn. If we can't see our own faults we must be shown them so we can advance.

"99% of new pen turners fall into, and believe me we all been there, done that but is interesting to see that, the one thing, new pen turners do (like it or not, aware or not) is the large "belly's" on the pen barrels, that my friend is an interesting fact that I would like one day, someone to be able to explain that to me...!:wink:"

I don't know about the others, but as for me... I blame YouTube. For a few weeks, as I was saving for my lathe, I watched a bunch of pen turning videos. A lot of the instructional vids where from kit sellers like PSI. Most of them did their pens with a belly. Personally I like a little shape, but not a belly. The only reason I did the belly on the kitless was... Well... I screwed up. I turned the section and the front half of the pen while my chuck held on to the back half of the white blank. I then turned the pen around in the chuck (I padded the front & section with a paper towel) and turned the back half. The way I had it held in the chuck I couldn't do much with the middle.

And as for money making. Not really my driving force... right now ;)
I have a lot of learning to do before I can think about something like that. Like I said I have only done this for a few weeks, and this was my 4th pen. I have to pay my dues first.

Again thank you everyone for your encouragement and comments.

wiz9777

Does your eyedropper have a cap?

No. I was going to try to make one, but I broke the first section that I made. I had to use the rest of the blank to make the new one you see in the pic. This one was just a skill builder. I never used a tap & die before, so I wanted to play and see if I could do it. I don't really plain on using this one.

My next one will be all white and have a cap. Depending on how I feel I may have the wife make me a silver clip or a simple band.

BSea

WOW, a kitless right out of the gate. That's impressive. You should look at the pens and videos by watch_art. He also started with kitless. In fact, that's all he's done as far as I know.

Here's his You Tube Channel: snennewton's channel - YouTube

I agree with robutacion on the fatter barrels. I think part of it has to do with the fact that for some reason, they just don't look that fat till they are assembled. And they do show some being made that way on you tube. But you'll develop your own style. I know I pretty much make the same basic shape for lower barrels. It does have a little to do with the kit, but I tend to do most of mine basically the same.

Those comments on the size should not be taken a criticism. Because really, that's only opinion. As far as the workmanship, it looks really good from the pictures. I don't see any scratches in the finish, and the fit to the components looks right on. Great job. And like Scott above, you'll not see my 1st couple of pens.:redface:

On the kitless, I don't think you should reverse paint the barrel. I think over time you'll remove the paint on the threads anyway just by removing the section.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
the one thing, new pen turners do (like it or not, aware or not) is the large "belly's" on the pen barrels, that my friend is an interesting fact that I would like one day, someone to be able to explain that to me...!:wink:"
but as for me... I blame YouTube. For a few weeks, as I was saving for my lathe, I watched a bunch of pen turning videos. A lot of the instructional vids where from kit sellers like PSI. Most of them did their pens with a belly.

I have wondered the same thing as George. So, this is where some, or most of it comes from.

And I agree that it is unusual to start out with kitless. You obviously have some mechanical/artistic background that your brought into this endevor. :good:

Last edited:

wiz9777

And I agree that it is unusual to start out with kitless. You obviously have some mechanical/artistic background that your brought into this endevor.
My wife is the artist I am just trying to keep up.
My background was in computer repair. I switched nursing and am now a sleep tech. Not much difference. A person has wires, tubes, and programing just like machines do. People are much more satisfying to fix.

As for starting with kitless... If you try the next level, the level you are on can be seen with experienced eyes.

I just ordered 6 more of the white translucent acrylic blanks. It is cool to see the color of ink in the pen (all 5ml of it). Plus I love white fountain pens. I am going to make a mandrel out of some threaded rod and bushings that will thread on it (I'm going to try to do it right this time). I still need to order some Kaweco calligraphy nibs. I thought of trying to make the feed out of the white acrylic also... maybe. I drafted up the instructions for making everything I mentioned. I should start on it early next week. I will post a pic when it is done.

Top Bottom