NOT BAD for the first one in 5 years

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

I haven't turned a pen in the better part of 5 years, and I ended up needing to send a gift to a friend that was very sneaky in making me a billet of cable damascus along with more cable to try to make my own. I have successfully made my own, but my solution to include with the blade I made for him was this pen. I used an olivewood cutting board from TJ Maxx and a 20 sided life point counter. I did my traditional modified Slimline on it. Turning it went very well, ever since I got my bladesmithing/blacksmithing shop up to snuff and working properly I've had access to a belt grinder with a flat platen and 800 grit belts. It makes it EASY to sharpen my tools. I need a new shallow gouge ans mine was crap steel when I bought it and has been worn down to 2 inches of steel left due to resharpening every 2 or 3 minutes of use. I gave it a few coats of thin CA before taking it to the high speed buffing wheel with white compound. I set out to do a grain match and lost track of it while trying to remember the order of operations. Fortunately old habits kicked in and I still managed to autopilot into a perfect grain match. I plan on doing more, I already did a second one. I just need to order more kits when I'm not a broke college student.

Attachments

• olivewood1.jpg
    olivewood1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 186
  • olivewood2.jpg
    olivewood2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 125
  • olivewood3.jpg
    olivewood3.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 163
  • olivewood4.jpg
    olivewood4.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 154
  • olivewood5.jpg
    olivewood5.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 140

Drstrangefart

So when are you going to make a damascus shallow gouge to replace the old gouge?

You don't want that. The difference in wear rates between the high nickel steel and the low nickel steel means you have a perpetually serrated edge. I WILL be making my own as soon as I figure out how I'm gonna swage some flat stock into shape. I have plenty of good apring steel to work with.

Top Bottom