Not all COWs are the same....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Now I can fully appreciate the COW that Dario made... it is a gorgeous piece of wood, and beautifully executed.... a fine writing instrument....

HOWEVER, here in Western Maryland Dairy country we have a whole different definition for COW.... so here is my COW pen....

Chrome Plated Baron Rollerball in Decora I purchased from CSU when they ran a special... only problem is that it is only 5/8" so I have to drill it on the lathe... this stuff turns real nice... just a light touch with the skew and it comes off in ribbons.. you just need to shut down the lathe every couple of turns to clear the plastic....
Finish is just sanding to 12000MM wet, Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and Hut Plastic Polish... and of course a coat of Ren wax...
2005824171435_CowBaron.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Griz,
I like that a lot! I love the way black and white look together on a pen.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tom,

Keep the lathe running, clear the plastic with a wire brush (like you use to clean your grill).

One vendor used to call that "Dalmation", I always thought it looked more like a cow, too.[:)][:)]

Of course, cows were very popular in the "Dairy state".

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Ed, I think this stuff is too soft to use a grill brush on... You would end up with a load of scratches on this doing that...

wayneis

Tom give it a buff with white dimond for a really nice shine, I was surprised when I tried it on the delmation and the tortoise blanks. I especially like the tortoise blanks but they are not for sale anymore.

Wayne

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tom,

Try it, I have done hundreds of pens that way, push the plastic stuff over the bushing, then the brush will engage it and remove. Remember, when you finish the pen you are still going to sand off scratches.

MUCH QUICKER than any other method I have found.

If you are real gun-shy, there are brass bristle brushes available. But, really, I have turned that same material and used the grill brush from HF (perhaps that's the secret, their bristles may not be as firm).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom