Nose Art Pen – B17 Flying Fortress

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fireengines

Fireengines

This is a pen I turned using WWII nose art from the Nine-O-Nine, "The Ragged Irregulars". They flew 140 missions without loss of life, despite 600 holes from flak and enemy fighters accumulated by this B-17 Flying Fortress. Nine-O-Nine, S/N 42-31909 - from which her name was derived - was based at Bassingborne, England, 91st Bomb Group, 323rd Squadron (8th Air Force). I tried to place some of the bullet holes in the pen but it did not come out well.

The acrylic blank is from Exotic Blanks and is called Metallic Silver.

Attachments

• noseart.jpg
    noseart.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 417
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Very nice and a great tribute to some really stalwart airmen. And the blank is fantastic -- it really has a metallic ring to it.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Nice job - the only thing that I would change (and this is purely my personal preference) is that I would rotate the decal 90 degrees so it would look nice laying on a desk (treat the finial as the "nose").

PaulDoug

Very nice pen. Beautiful blank. Now to expand on the idea, I would turn the nose art and do a pen in the old army olive drab, or brown whatever the color was called in that era. Not at all sure how or where you would get such a colored blank. Course it would not be a pretty of a pen.

Top Bottom