NOS Catalin Bakelite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
"New" old stock from the 1930's. Green Bakelite.
Bakelite is a synthetic resin chemically formulated and named after its Belgian inventor, Chemist L.H.Baekeland c.1909. It is pronounced "Bay Ka Lite". Originally it was used for molding items that were previously done of celluloid or hard rubber. One of the original uses was for pool balls. It is collectible in all its forms including jewelry, buttons, radio cases, lamps, dresser sets and many more items.

200852724045__DSC0262_DSC0262.jpg

20085272416__DSC0274_DSC0274.jpg

Thanks to all who look and particularly to those who comment.

OKLAHOMAN

Lou, simply wonderful, now if I can sneak Dianes bakelite pocketbook that her mother had into the shop...better not,I like breathing:D

PR_Princess

Colin,

I agree that the colour is not one that you would normally see in a commercially available pen blank and, I know that this is bakelite.

But, if you just look at the colour....... think......Royal Jade.
It reminds ME of the same colour of jade that you would see coming straight out of an ancient Mayan King's tomb or from a Chinese nobelman's one.

I can certainly see why Lou picked this kit. Very nice combo.[8D]

(OK, so the smilie really DID need the shades on this one![}:)])

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Kenny â€" The Bakelite is a little harder than most resins but turns just fine. The color is strong, so painting the tubes was unnecessary.

Thanks Bruce2, Roy (back away from the purse), Steve, Less, Dawn, Mark, Keith, Tom, Gerry, Jim, Laurie and Dale.

Colin â€" funny, I’ve always pictured you in this colour kilt

Dawn â€" It really does have a rich, jade coloring to it.

Thanks again for all of your generous comments.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thank you all for the generous comments. Jenny - the old stock bakelite is difficult to find. The new Catalin is easier, but still not easy to find. It is very easy to work.

bananajeep

Lou, I really like the subtle swirls in the bakelite. I was able to actually create a PR pour with similar subtle white swirls. I used regular Fiberglass resin for the base which gave it a amber color and used clear PR with white to make the swirls. I found that I can use the FG resin for my dark colors like black and blues etc with no problem (I had some FG resin left over from a boat project and the stuff doesn't last forever so why not).

By the way is that doesn't look like a Heritage nib on there!? You know that would make the pen even better!

Great job.

Mike

Nolan

Lou,
Very nice as always, how many colors choices have you found?? I know they used to make it in tons of colors and color combinations.

Top Bottom