North Dakota State Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from seamus7227

seamus7227

This is a North Dakota quarter that has been curved around a pen tube with the state flag printed on a label and cast in resin. I am still working on getting all of the air out from underneath the quarter while in the mold. comments, criticisms welcome!

Attachments

• State Quarter pen 002.JPG
    State Quarter pen 002.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 443
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Awsome..only suggestion would be to upgrade the kit to a satin&chrome or black ti. The Black plastic parts tend to over power the blank.

seamus7227

Awsome..only suggestion would be to upgrade the kit to a satin&chrome or black ti. The Black plastic parts tend to over power the blank.

I like that idea! This pen is actually a demo for a Texas themed pen that i am working on. Just didnt want to ruin a tx quarter in the process.

LouCee

A state quarter with the state flag is a cool idea, you did a great job on this! Being a ND native I enjoyed the state choice. You mention this was a demo for a TX pen, any thoughts on doing all 50?

PaulDoug

That is a great idea and well done. I didn't know a Texas quarter was worth more than a North Dakota quarter, but even at my age you can learn something new.

I really like you idea for the pen.

seamus7227

That is a great idea and well done. I didn't know a Texas quarter was worth more than a North Dakota quarter, but even at my age you can learn something new.

I really like you idea for the pen.

Paul, I'm not too sure of a Texas 1/4 being of any more value than North Dakota's, its just that I dont see them too often.
thanks for the comments~!

Schtick

Really nice, kept the shine too

I am not sure how you bent the quarter so nice ether,but it looks great.

When I made Christmas decorations with a charm inside. We would dip the charms in the acrylic first and brush all the bubbles of the charm and then pour the mold.

I am not sure how you bent the quarter so I don't know if that will help or not.

seamus7227

I am not sure how you bent the quarter so nice ether,but it looks great.

When I made Christmas decorations with a charm inside. We would dip the charms in the acrylic first and brush all the bubbles of the charm and then pour the mold.

I am not sure how you bent the quarter so I don't know if that will help or not.

Thanks for the compliment! I actually bend the quarter around the tube, slide it back and forth to where i want it, then cast it. I had a thought of CA around the edge of the quarter before casting to seal it. maybe i will try that next.

Jgrden

Thanks for the compliment! I actually bend the quarter around the tube, slide it back and forth to where i want it, then cast it. I had a thought of CA around the edge of the quarter before casting to seal it. maybe i will try that next.
How in the heck can you bend a quarter around a brass tube without distorting the tube? Do you heat the quarter??:confused:

seamus7227

How in the heck can you bend a quarter around a brass tube without distorting the tube? Do you heat the quarter??:confused:

very cool idea. I to am curious how you bent the quarter?? Did you heat it, or a vise and a pair of pliers???

To answer your questions: I created a jig to hold the quarter so I could shave the heads side completely off. The goal is to turn it so thin that it becomes bendable. Then i took a wooden dowel that was almost an exact match with the sierra tube in diameter, and rolled the quarter around it. Obviously, i had to use my wooden mallet, and it wasnt just a simple roll either, it took some time and some test fitting. But once the correct bend was achieved, i printed the label, applied to the tube, slid the quarter on, then casted in PR. I hope this helps!

Top Bottom