Norm would be proud (quiz)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from StatProf

StatProf

Okay, so here's a quiz. I needed a daily "abuser", so I decided to quickly make myself a European since they hold up pretty well and I won't cry if I lose it or snap it in half while sitting in a 3 hour meeting that could have been over in 35 minutes.

Anyway, I didn't want to use any of my higher-end blanks, so I used this one that I got in a trade here on IAP. I had never seen a blank that came to be like this, however I have seen others work with this type of wood before. The wood is almost grey with a hint of red (one of the pictures kinda shows the red).

Anyone figure out what it is and how it came to be like this (the color)?

Here's a hint . . . Norm Abrams would be proud!

Blessings,
Kyle (StatProf)

Attachments

• daily1.JPG
    daily1.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 240
  • daily2.JPG
    daily2.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 182
  • daily3.JPG
    daily3.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StatProf

Reclaimed lumber

whad I win

Jay

We have a winner (sort of)!!! It is reclaimed, but there is something special about HOW it was reclaimed. I'll give a hint . . . it sat there for 100+ years and didn't age a bit or rot any at all.

Here's another incentive . . . whoever gets it right (species and how it came to be), I'll send a couple of free blanks.

Kyle (StatProf)

Pen Maker

Norm wants a coupla blanks for mentioning his name... Ship to:

123 Main St.
Anytown, USA.10101

StatProf

Reclaimed from the Rapohanack River (don't think I spelt Rapohanack correctly though)

And here's the winner!!!! In the spirit of not prolonguing this any more, I thought that I would just go ahead and tell you that it is Hickory. I also have some Oak and Birch. The interesting thing is that they all look exactly the same minus the grain. Furthermore, when you turn them, the hint of a former color starts to come out (hence the little amount of redness in the hickory).

It was fun to turn just for the history of the wood, but I had to sharpen my skew like 843 times!

StatProf

Pen Maker

Aaaah There he is, Mr. Madore... Mr. I know my woods.... keep all us newb's busy racking our nimble brains with that travesty of Trivia contests, whilst you an Tim rack up the prizes in the other contests.. Yeah, good ploy! Worked too !!!

I was a bit put off with you and Tim, leaving the Fat Guy to fend for himself, with the Gimped Lady.. But all in all, she cut a mean rug just the same.. Lemonade from Lemons.

THarvey

Aaaah There he is, Mr. Madore... Mr. I know my woods.... keep all us newb's busy racking our nimble brains with that travesty of Trivia contests, whilst you an Tim rack up the prizes in the other contests.. Yeah, good ploy! Worked too !!!

I was a bit put off with you and Tim, leaving the Fat Guy to fend for himself, with the Gimped Lady.. But all in all, she cut a mean rug just the same.. Lemonade from Lemons.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!

How did I get drug into this?

I am just sitting here is Alabama minding my own business.:glasses-nerdy:

Tim

VisExp

And here's the winner!!!! In the spirit of not prolonguing this any more, I thought that I would just go ahead and tell you that it is Hickory. I also have some Oak and Birch. The interesting thing is that they all look exactly the same minus the grain. Furthermore, when you turn them, the hint of a former color starts to come out (hence the little amount of redness in the hickory).

It was fun to turn just for the history of the wood, but I had to sharpen my skew like 843 times!

StatProf

I'm a winner :eek: When I first saw your post I thought of the reclaimed wood from the Rapohanack. I remember the name as I have a friend who has some property on the river. I also remember seeing the episode. The only reason I didn't make the connection earlier was when Norm built the piece from reclaimed wood, the wood was this strange gray color from lying in the river for so long. I'm surprised your pen is such a clear color, the blank must have come from deep inside of a log. That is a piece of history, great stuff.

Top Bottom