Noobie pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bvanwie

bvanwie

These are my first pens that I felt decent enough to share, as well as my first Euro-style pens. I just started turning, and would like some feedback. Other pens include (all American slimline):
1. pen for wife for when she sees the credit card bill. ;)
2. pen that needed further turning. I was too nervous early on and thought that I'd surely break anything turned down that thin. I used the pen disassembly tool (incorrectly, I assume), and now the top will not grip on the pen, but instead it turns freely. This pen is now a 'shop pen' since you have to take it apart to extend or retract it. [B)]
3. pen that somehow I ground 1/4" too much off while trimming the ends off. I must've gotten sander-happy![B)]
4. purpleheart pen that isn't really purple. (Since then I've read that I can bake it, but I'm hesitant to bake it now that it is finished.)
and 5. pencil made of cocobolo. The finish isn't as good as I would like, but it is a nice pencil. Since then I've learned that cocobolo is oily and I should've wiped it down with acetone before finishing.
I've also bought some micromesh since the first attempts, and it has gone a long way to helping me get my finish right.

Now, on to the pics. Feedback is appreciated! Please let me know how to improve. :)
tn_20080313%20-%20euro%20-%2001%20-%2001.jpg

tn_20080316%20-%20euro%20-%2002%20-%2001.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Bill,

I am assuming that not all of the pens made your post. What I see looks quite nice for your status as a beginner.

With respect to the purpleheart pen, try leaving it on your dashboard for an hour or two. The heat from the sun may well darken it a bit for you.

bvanwie

The rest weren't worth a photo. ;) I've had a hard time getting a finish that I like on the pens. The photos are the best finish that I've produced yet, and I'm happy with them. I did, however, have to sand both pens down a 2nd time to get rid of CA splotches. I think I know what to watch for to keep that from happening again. If not, I'll buy more sandpaper. I notice on some pens that I'm getting open grain issues. I try filling them with a CA slurrie, but I have thick CA and it doesn't seem to work real well for me. Should I be using a different type (thin?) of CA, or should I be using some other product as a wood filler?

Tanner

They look great! I use thin CA if I have to slurry it into little voids. If you're seeing splotches, you may be a little heavy handed on the sandpaper. I don't even use that rough stuff anymore. After the skew, I usually go right into 1500 MM. Depending on how smooth the CA went on I may go right into 3600 MM. If the CA ended up a little rough I'll lightly use Abranet 500 to smooth it out. I use to use those rolls of sandpaper and it took forever to get rid of those deep scratches.

Good luck, you're off to a great start!

bvanwie

Maybe I'll grab some thin CA with my next order. I'll probably try a finer sandpaper to start with instead of the 150. What do you slurry the CA in with?

Top Bottom