Non-Segmented Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxman400

maxman400

I cast this blank using Alumilite and an Arizona Tea Can. I left the paint on the can for the extra color, it came out better than I thought it would. I guess you could call it segmented since it blew up three times and I had to hunt down the pieces and glue them back in place. :biggrin: The blank was wet sanded to 1000 then I applied 5 coats of thin CA and wet sanded it again to 1000 then applied 5 more coats and MM to 12000. Tubes are not painted. Any comments are welcome, Thanks for looking. :)

Attachments

• seg cigar 024.jpg
    seg cigar 024.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 159
  • seg cigar 033.jpg
    seg cigar 033.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 243
  • seg cigar 003.jpg
    seg cigar 003.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 137
  • seg cigar 010.jpg
    seg cigar 010.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 146
  • seg cigar 009_edited-1.jpg
    seg cigar 009_edited-1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 195
  • seg cigar 011_edited-1.jpg
    seg cigar 011_edited-1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

akbar24601

That looks really great! Ain't it just loads of fun hunting down pieces on the floor!!! Every time I have to do that is when I remind myself that I should vacuum after each pen so my little pieces don't get lost in the debris. One of these days I just might learn from myself!!! LOL

Very cool looking pen!

grub32

Its wonderful first off...Can I ask, did you use CA or Epoxy to glue in your tubes?

Just curious. I found that when I used epoxy with blanks that had stuff in it, that it turned with less, trouble...Seemed to give it more internal stability.

Best of luck...its very nice.

Grub

maxman400

I used Epoxy on the tubes, and CA when I put it back together. The problem I was having was due to the fact that since I wanted the color from the paint on the can the metal was very smooth. When it came apart the Alumilite was as smooth as glass. That helped with putting it back together since there was little or no air gap. Each time it came apart was because the skew lifted the metal from the alumilite. Hey if it was easy it would not be any fun.

maxman400

Looks really great where I'm sitting. I'm surprised you were able to blow it up, being alumilite and all. Better sharpen those chisels!
It is a brand new oval Skew and it was cutting very easy and I think I was trying to take much at one time. Live and learn I guess!! :redface:

Top Bottom