Non Modified .308 Winchester

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rd_ab_penman

rd_ab_penman

I was able to find some Solid Copper 30 Caliber Bullets the had enough length that I don't have to modify by shortening the Cross refill.
As always comments and or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks for looking.

Brass Rifle Cartridge with Solid Copper 30 Bullet for the Nib and Brass 308 Cap with Deer Head Clip.
308brass.jpg

Nickel Rifle Cartridge with Solid Copper 30 Bullet for the Nib and Nickel 308 Cap with Chrome Rifle Clip.
308nickel.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rd_ab_penman

Les - good photo ! - - nice pen ! - - what sort of finish technique did you use on the brass cartridge ?

Thanks.

After I drill out the primer holes I install some 7mm brass tubes on my A Mandrel and install 2 Cartridges and first clean with super fine steel wool with Brasso. The apply Brasso on blue shop towel and finish cleaning.

Once I have the Tranny and Bullet Nib install I install in my collet chuck and I clean the Nib with Brasso then I use Hut Ultra Gloss to polish and remove any fine scratches from the cartridge and nib.

I then wipe down with Lacquer Thinner and apply several coats of 50/50 Lacquer and Lacquer Thiner using the "Dipping Method".

I have found that Powder Coating causes discoloration of the Brass Cartridge and Copper Bullet Nib

polishingbrasscartridge.jpg

dsc06960q.jpg

Les

Bellsy

Les, what Lacquer are you using for the cartridges? Does the lacquer finish breakdown over time and flake off?

Barnes does not offer those bullets any longer and they do not ship to Canada....?

Last edited:

rd_ab_penman

Les, what Lacquer are you using for the cartridges? Does the lacquer finish breakdown over time and flake off?

Barnes does not offer those bullets any longer and they do not ship to Canada....?

Dave

I was able to find 500 bullets at one of our local gun shops. Should last me for a while.

All Lacquer finishes will eventually wear off over time depending on the use of the pen.

I have been using Sherwin - Williams Opex Clear Acrylic Metal Lacquer thinned with Lacquer Thinner to a 40% Lacquer and 60% Lacquer Thinner mixture.

I am currently trying a product called MICRO CLEAR MC -106 Air Dry Clear Coat made by MICRO DYNE. Will be interesting to see if it will stand up any longer than the Lacquer I have been using.

Les

Top Bottom