Non-alternative Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GoodTurns

GoodTurns

Special order. preban ivory with certificates from the Warther Museum (ivorybuyer.com) very nice material at relatively reasonable prices.

Attachments

• ivory gold.jpg
    ivory gold.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 392
  • ivory titanium.jpg
    ivory titanium.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 239
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

Very nice pen. I have been looking at ivory with pre-ban certs. After seeing this beauty, I may have to start looking harder.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Does the seller give you any information about potential cracking? More important, how to AVOID cracking? I'd hate to sell a great pen like that and have the customer come back in six months, with a cracked pen. What are the chances (I really don't know, just what I have read)??

Bree

Wow! Reminds me of the keys from our old ivory and ebony keyed spinet!! Beautiful work.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

GoodTurns

turning observations.....butter smooth to turn, sharp tools (obviously). Drilling was the only scary part... I received some very valuable advice here at IAP to make sure to avoid heat build up, ANY heat build up. These were drilled over a period of several days, about 1/8 of an inch at a time.... drill, do something else for an hour, drill...repeat until through!

I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of smell...had worried about it, having worked with various antlers/horns and such...was not paying attention specifically, but don't recall any noticeable odor vs other materials.

cracking is a worry. I have kept these for 3 months to make sure that they are at least stable. temperature and humidity fluctuations are a concern, but they seem to be doing well so far and have had a few more swings than I would have liked, but have survived everything so far. Odds on NEVER cracking...who knows... with a stable environment they should last a long time.

I will be making more of these as they really do have a feel that you can't duplicate. I use a lot of alternative ivory, love it and will use it on all of my "regular" pens, but these really do convey a whole new level of luxury.

jasontg99

turning observations.....butter smooth to turn, sharp tools (obviously). Drilling was the only scary part... I received some very valuable advice here at IAP to make sure to avoid heat build up, ANY heat build up. These were drilled over a period of several days, about 1/8 of an inch at a time.... drill, do something else for an hour, drill...repeat until through!

I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of smell...had worried about it, having worked with various antlers/horns and such...was not paying attention specifically, but don't recall any noticeable odor vs other materials.

cracking is a worry. I have kept these for 3 months to make sure that they are at least stable. temperature and humidity fluctuations are a concern, but they seem to be doing well so far and have had a few more swings than I would have liked, but have survived everything so far. Odds on NEVER cracking...who knows... with a stable environment they should last a long time.

I will be making more of these as they really do have a feel that you can't duplicate. I use a lot of alternative ivory, love it and will use it on all of my "regular" pens, but these really do convey a whole new level of luxury.

Fantastic looking pen! How did you finish it?

Top Bottom