No more thumbnail links, please.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Hi folks. This is just my opinion, but I really like to see full sized</u> pictures on the "Show off your pens" forum. The thumbnail links work GREAT for other forums or for when you want to supply an example, but these magnificent new pieces deserve their own full display (keeping them about 640 pixels wide, of course :D). What do the rest of you think? [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I agree... I think the only time a thumbnail is appropriate is when you want to show an example in someone else's message without hijacking it with your images....
OF COURSE, this is only my opinion and probably not worth the time I took to type it...

dubdrvrkev

The only reason a thumbnail is beneficial (IMHO) is for the folks who still have dial-up. But you know they click it anyway. [;)]
For me, there is no reason to go through the extra steps to thumbnail it, yeah I'm lazy.

timdaleiden

I like the thumbnail thingy. Pages load very quick, and if I care to see the full version, it is just a click away. People can also show much larger images that way, without making everyone side-scroll to read comments. If somebody is too tired to click the mouse button, they should probably be in bed.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by dubdrvrkev
<br />I meant to post it in thumbnail form, not to click on it.

I understood your post Kevin, and my comment was not directed at you, or anyone else. I guess I am just confused about the objections to using the thumbnail option. I don't think people should feel obligated to use it, if they don't want to, or can't. I don't think it is working for everyone yet, and maybe it never will. From what I have read, even Jeff is stumped as to why it isn't working for everyone.

BigRob777

Lou,
I guess I have mixed thoughts about the issue. I do like to see the pen, when I click on the subject, otherwise, I wouldn't click on it. I also don't like to see a huge picture that doesn't fit on my screen. It wouldn't be so bad, if it didn't affect everyone's comments below. I do know that a lot of people still have dial-up, but like dubdrvrkev says, they will most likely click on it anyway. Why else would someone come into a thread anyway. Is a thread the same thing as a post? I need to know, because my shirt needs sewing.[:D] I guess my "vote" is the same as your's Lou, with the smaller size also.
BTW, I tried to post my huge <b>curly and curly spalted oak sale</b>, but my camera batteries died. It'll have to wait until the morning, just giving you a head's up.

dubdrvrkev

Originally posted by timdaleiden
I understood your post Kevin, and my comment was not directed at you, or anyone else.

No harm Tim. Just didn't want you (or anyone) to think I was that lazy.

I don't neccasarily have an objection to them, I just don't see much benefit to them. However, I do agree that it is polite to size the pics appropriately, IMHO 600-700 ish pixels wide.

WoodChucker

I agree, don't care for them and I don't care for the huge pics either. I don't see a problem for dial-up users either, it's only the pic that loads slow, you can still read the posts and then come back and look at the pic. [:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I actually like them in every forum but show off your pens.
I also would like to see the feature like we've had in the contests in the past where random pictures scrolled across the screen. NOt just like the current additions that are on the home page now.

MDWine

I dislike when an image makes me scroll horizontally to read the text.
The thumbs also allow me to determine whether I like the picture well enough to take a closer look. (which I usually do)[:D]

On the other hand, pictures are better than none at all, I suppose...
We love our pictures, ya know! [:p]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jeff,

Because an individual does not like ONE feature does not mean they don't like your site. With over a thousand registered "members", you sure can't please ALL the people with EVERY feature.

Please, keep up the good work!!

nilsatcraft

I would prefer not to have to deal with the thumbnails, oversized pictures, etc. but it's not that big a deal to me. I will try to avoid posting them myself but I'll still look if someone else posts them. I still think this forum is set up much better than others and is the easiest to read/use.

patrick_1853

I actually like the thumbnails. To me they make scrolling through to read the entire thread much faster, because it is shorter. At home I have dial up. I live out in the middle of no where, talked to cable installer and he said as far as he new they have no intention of running new lines to allow cable internet (same for dsl through the phone lines). But I don't think it provides any speed advantage, because I always open themanyway.

dubdrvrkev

For the people who use IE you can set it to automatically resize images so they are not larger than the viewing area. This should save you from scrolling to read following posts. IIRC you open Internet Options, go to Advanced tab, and in the Multimedia section it has how it handles images.

mikes pens

With all the interest in thumbnails, I thought I would send a picture of mine.

Mike

200571225257_IMG_1364.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom