no line, no sinker...but a hook!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GoodTurns

GoodTurns

Been trying to make this one work and finally got "prototype #1" to a completed stage. I hope to see some improvements on this (that I can steal back!) from you all! I have a couple more ideas to try over the next week or two...please share if you try anything!

These are 12 and 14 size hooks tied by a gent I met at a show a few months back...he has been making "flatter" flies for me to try out and we finally got one bubble free and still looking like a fly! The cork is craft sheets, almost paper thin and shrinks slightly when cast (at least in Alumilite!).

Attachments

• lure.jpg
    lure.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 475
  • lure close.jpg
    lure close.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 642
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

boxerman

Jon you send a P.M. to rd_ab_penman (Les Elm) I know he's casted some flies pen blanks. Maybe he can give you some ideals.

cwolfs69

good idea

since i actually do tie flys and have all of the stuff, ill see if i can do something on this theme for you. love the cork part. maybe ad a band of color to look like a rod handle. well keep you posted how it works.

GoodTurns

Nice idea - I do like what you did with the cork.

this is what I was talking about at the show Saturday...now I need Fly Rod clip!

cwolfs69
good idea
since i actually do tie flys and have all of the stuff, ill see if i can do something on this theme for you. love the cork part. maybe ad a band of color to look like a rod handle. well keep you posted how it works.

obstacles....
need to turn the eye of the hook 90deg for a flatter profile (pen is much too fat as it sits)

flatter feathers are better...I have a couple of wing feather flies that I was saving until I was sure this would work....they're next... "one-sided" flies work better, but you lose depth.

also playing with some bamboo for background...need to look at some rod pics for more ideas!

GoodTurns

I think it's cool as hell Jon. Is there a way to dye parts of the cork to give it some contrast?

working on a couple of approaches to liven it up! Give me a week or two!

The cork is actually printable via inkjet printer...may try that but I'm leaning toward adding other goodies to the blank...

Barry Gross had a blue background with the flies, but he had all small - midge sized stuff in it. Really dug it.

I fly fish, and a LONG time ago used to tie flies so I had one of these in my to do list.

Looks good.

jbswearingen

I visited with Jon yesterday and got a chance to hold and look at this pen up close and personal. Let me tell you, it's even more impressive when you hold it. The cork sheet he is using is INCREDIBLY thin. 1/32"...maybe 1/16" thick, Jon? It's so thin that there are gaps in the cells in the cork. Because of this, you can see "flashes" of the brass underneath. Jon says that to some pen purists, this is a flaw. Not for me. The cork with the brass showing through reminds me of a clear river's bed--like seeing mica or iron pyrite among the rocks, which just adds to the illusion of the flies swimming through water.

He also showed me two other tricks he's adding to the casting design, but I'll leave that up to him to show.

tjseagrove

How about pitting a slight bend at the end of the hook and embedding it into the cork to make it look like you stuck it on the handle to hold it so it doesn't get lost.

Tom

Top Bottom