No External Hardware

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

I wanted to try making a pen with absolutly no external hardware showing. This is it a Walnut Snap Cap with no external hardware.

The cap does snap on, and yes I realize it does not have a clip[:eek:)]

200581616244_WalnutNoHard6.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

Looking good Mike. You are really coming up with some new stuff now days.
I wonder if the clip could be integrated. Maybe cutting a slot in at slight angle, I guess you would have to have a bit of meat on the cap though. HHmmm.. a thought anyway.

vick

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Mike,
How does it look when together? It's a neat idea, especially for a purse pen.

2005816162538_WalnutNoHard3.jpg

I actually have been calling it a lip stick pen, so it is funny you mention the purse pen since that is exactly what I was thinking.

Kevin I know I could put a clip on it using the hidden clip method that I had posted a couple time before. The pen actually is the same diameter as the top section (cap) of a snap cap not the bottom thinner section, so there is a bit of meat on it. I will probably do this again soon with a clip and a small slice of black PVC at the nib and the bottom of the cap for a little bit on transition. I kind of wanted all wood on this one though.

JimGo

Thanks for the extra pic Mike! That looks pretty neat. I know it isn't what you wanted on this one, but a gold or black trim ring between the pieces might give it a slightly more sophisticated look.

elody21

I think it looks great just as is. A clip would take away from the design. I do like the idea of the black slice though.

vick

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I kind of thought this would be one of those love it or hate it things. The people that hate it must be being quiet[;)]

Hey Frank you can use it as a dowel if you want, it is double purpose.

PenWorks

Mike, since you put it that way......[:D] it's not that I hate it, I really like the design! Just doesn't present itself in walnut. I believe I saw a pen made by Russ that was somewhat simular, no external hardware showing and had some different wood on the cap and tip, looked real sharp. A for desing D- for choice of materials [:eek:)]

vick

Well I knew the silence would not last[:D]
I will have to defend the Walnut a little bit it is from a nice air dried Walnut crotch that I milled myself, and it has a really nice color that does not photograph well (I have a couple pens made from it in my album). I have a lot of it and it makes a nice test wood. Good enough to look nice if every thing works out, cheap and abundent enough I do not cry if it goes wrong. For some reason I can not stand to use absolute crap wood even for my test pieces, what it the test worked out well!
To be honest I think I have Russ's PMG album memorized by now, but I thought there was enough changes to his designs (this time[:D][:D]) that it was not to bad of a rip off.[;)]
actually I though it was more a rip off of a Nakaya, but with squared not rounded ends.

2005818231846_nakaya.jpg
<br />
I value your opinion Anthony and highly encourage you to voice it on my work good or bad (the bad is probably alot more usefull to me actually). I like this pen but I will probably never make this exact design again.

JimGo

Very dark pic Mike, so it's hard to see, but they look pretty sweet! I wonder, if you were to turn a slight taper on one end, and a matching recess on the other, if the joint could be made even tighter. Obviously, with a strongly grained wood, the grain wouldn't match up so it would still be obvious, but with a resin or a solid surface product, like Corian, it might not be as obvious.

PenWorks

Jim....unloosen your tie.....close your eyes....and let your feelings go.....
the dark picture has nothing to do with it, it's all about the shape. It could be made out of paper, but it is a wonderfull shape. BTW, I bet it is black ebonite or painted ebonite. [:p]

vick

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Let's see it open! Is that black acrylic or ebony? They look outstanding.

In case I was not clear the picture of the black pen is not mine it is made by a company called Nakaya.
the material is "ebonite lacquered with Wajima urushi"

Take a look at their site all their pens are handmade and the craftsmen get no salarys but work on commission.

http://www.nakaya.org/eindex.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom