Nittany Lion Spalted Birch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikespenturningz

Here is a blank that I got from Steve, it is a beautiful piece of spalted birch.

il_570xN.573742714_b0ga.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NittanyLion

Nice job Mike....Cut from a patch of Birch at our canoe launch on the Susquehanna river(every pen has a story!). I do not recognize the hardware....what kit is that?

Hi Steve, that is the Desire stainless hardware that Constant sells. I really love this hardware because it is not only beautiful but it also doesn't try to steal the show. It is line the Jr. Gent 2 in that way. I always want the blank material to be the focus.

Mike

Nice job Mike....Cut from a patch of Birch at our canoe launch on the Susquehanna river(every pen has a story!). I do not recognize the hardware....what kit is that?

OZturner

Mike,
Start, with a Beautiful Spalted Birch Blank.
Plus, a Glorious Kit,
Add, Perfect Fit and Finish
Equals, A Magnificent Pen.
It all adds up
Congratulations,
Brian.

Ya a little bit of a break. I have been working with some woods that simply don't need any more help from me than my skew and a nice finish. I certainly can't segment like these woods that I am blessed with using. I have some Gabon Ebony that is looking like it needs some aluminum though.. I am also thinking about kitless so it depends on time and other things..

Mike

Looks great Mike. Taking a break from segmenting??

Hendu3270

Ya a little bit of a break. I have been working with some woods that simply don't need any more help from me than my skew and a nice finish. I certainly can't segment like these woods that I am blessed with using. I have some Gabon Ebony that is looking like it needs some aluminum though.. I am also thinking about kitless so it depends on time and other things..

Mike

Yeah some woods just don't need to be messed with, I agree.

Funny you mention kitless. I'm doing the same. Have one I'm just waiting on another blank to arrive so I can do the cap and another one started. Both just getting my feet wet and both not fountains. Look forward to seeing what you do with them. I have some ideas that I'm not sure can be done, but it'll be fun trying. :biggrin:

I am mostly figuring out what I need to purchase to get started. I know I am going to need several taps and dies. I want to make pens that are about the same size as the Jr. Gent 2's I really like that size. So I need to figure out which sizes to get and where to get them.

Mike

Mike

Yeah some woods just don't need to be messed with, I agree.

Funny you mention kitless. I'm doing the same. Have one I'm just waiting on another blank to arrive so I can do the cap and another one started. Both just getting my feet wet and both not fountains. Look forward to seeing what you do with them. I have some ideas that I'm not sure can be done, but it'll be fun trying. :biggrin:

Hendu3270

Yeah, I didn't want to spend much to start and tried to use taps and dies from the basic sets I have from Lowes and HF but they were coarse threads and weren't quite right. At the advice of guys here, I bought a tap and die in 9mm x 0.75 and 12mm x 0.75 from Victor Machinery - Metalworking tools and supplies to get started. I'm not sure of the size of the Jr. Gent 2 (never turned one), so a different might be needed to attain that size pen. The thing I'm bumping up against right now is holding the different parts of the pen. Need more collets for my PSI collet chuck.

Sorry to the OP for threadjacking...

No worries on threadjacking it was my original post. I have a call into Roy to help me get started. He probably has all I need to get started.

I want to make my pens from wood so I am going to have to do things a little differently. I will actually be making my parts for the ends of the wood and drill, tap and thread those. It should be interesting.

Dan Masshardt

No worries on threadjacking it was my original post. I have a call into Roy to help me get started. He probably has all I need to get started. I want to make my pens from wood so I am going to have to do things a little differently. I will actually be making my parts for the ends of the wood and drill, tap and thread those. It should be interesting.

I'm sure you will anyway, but please share your experiences with the process along the way.

Hendu3270

No worries on threadjacking it was my original post. I have a call into Roy to help me get started. He probably has all I need to get started.

I want to make my pens from wood so I am going to have to do things a little differently. I will actually be making my parts for the ends of the wood and drill, tap and thread those. It should be interesting.

Ha Ha. Brain-fart on my part. Forgot you were OP.

I thought about this as well, to avoid having to thread the wood, but you still have to connect the threaded ends to the wood somehow. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for what you come up with.

Top Bottom