Nickel Snake

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

Ok I know you folks are getting tired of these but I made this today.
No it ain't cracked yet-----the key wood is YET.
Snakewood---closed end----Nickel 308 caseing.
I am trying something new for me if the snakewood doesn't crack I will tell you the story---
Hope you like it
Thanks

20073703839_snakewood2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NavyDiver

Nice job! Is that a ding or irregularity in the finish on the center of the pen just above the casing? Or is that a reflection from your perfectly smooth mirror finish? [:D][8D]

Gary Max

That's a boo boo-----I am going to see if it cracks before I refinish it. Oh ---great eye sight----LOL
I turned 6 snakewood pens last year and every one of them cracked. I repaired then and they cracked again----they got trashed---yes ---I cussed.

Gary Max

Tom--------That is NOT what I wanted to hear----I done this one they same way you did yours---dang-it.
Becca----somewhere in stone it is written----all snakewood pens crack---many have tried ------ but they still crack.

Gary Max

Must be a echo in here---LOL
Toms great ideal----was---make the pen without generating any heat. So you take hours and drill the blank a 1/16th at a time---you only turn the blank for a couple of seconds---stop let it sit and turn again for a couple of seconds--All sanding is done by hand and slowly---Heck I even used yellow glue on the tube.

dbriski

There has to be something else causing the issue other than generating heat while making the pen. If it cracked right away after you made it then yes that could be an issue, but if it is cracking weeks, months later there has to be some other problems creating the cracking. I don't have any experience with snakewood but that just seem to be what makes sence to me.

Gary Max

David that's the trouble----Snakewood makes no sence---there are only two kinds of snakewood pens----ones with cracks and ones that are going to crack. If I would of known Toms had cracked----I would of tossed that blank in the trash---when this pen cracks----I will not even try and fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom