Nice Surprise With Free Acrylic Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

I got a freebie blank a few days ago from one of the parts distributors I deal with. It was included in my order of pen kits and supplies. It was quite a Ho . . Hum . . plain looking blank with no paticular pattern name on it and I figured that was why it was free.

FreeAcrylic.jpg

I was quite surprised with the pattern that was hidden beneath the plain looking exterior of that blank. With very careful measuring and cutting I was able to squeeze two Click Top Sierra barrels out of it .
I was not sure if it would look best in Chrome or 24K Gold so I made one of each .
I have shown pictures from each side and every turn from top to sides to bottom shows a whole new pattern arrangement.
OOPPSS , I see a speck of dust on one of the pictures . For shame . . . lol
I love turning acrylic (especially when it is free)
Only takes about half hour each for that type of pen right from start of raw blank to final assembly.
Sanded to 600 grit , then One Step Plastic Polish , then Carnauba wax.

AcrylicSide2.jpg

AcrylicSide1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Great looking pen, did you have to paint your tube?

No I didn't need to paint the tubes for that blank. Someone already emailed me and said the tubes are showing. They are not.
It is a light reflection in conjunction with my photography. If we take bad pictures that doesn't show the finish we sometimes get asked for better pictures. Then if we take good pictures some think the shine on the finish is tubes showing through . At least it only happens on acrylics :biggrin: . When we take pictures of wood pens and have the same high gloss finish on the wood it can also look like tubes but we are never asked if we painted the tubes on wood ones for obvious reasons .

This was my response to him

I beg to differ.
There is absoloutly no sign of tubes showing in those two. The coloring is too dense for them to show. All you are seeing is the natural coloring of the acrylic and the reflection of light on the finish.
I am well aware that some more transparent blanks will show the tubes through and I have painted those in the past .
I have made about three hundred pens and do a have a little experience . But then what do I know . I am only the 900 pound gorilla in the room :biggrin:

th_Gorrilla.gif

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
No I didn't need to paint the tubes for that blank. Someone already emailed me and said the tubes are showing. They are not.
It is a light reflection in conjunction with my photography. If we take bad pictures that doesn't show the finish we sometimes get asked for better pictures. Then if we take good pictures some think the shine on the finish is tubes showing through . At least it only happens on acrylics :biggrin: . When we take pictures of wood pens and have the same high gloss finish on the wood it can also look like tubes but we are never asked if we painted the tubes on wood ones for obvious reasons .

This was my response to him

Well, at least you didn't take it personal..... :wink::biggrin:

Tn-Steve

Silver or Gold.... Gold or Silver, tough choice. I think that the color works really well with the gold hardware, but the silver one is nothing to turn you nose up at by any stretch of the imagination. I think I like the look of the gold better by a very slim margin, but it could change the next time I look at them.

In any case, great pens, and thank you for letting us know what "Misc" was. :)

Steve W

W.Y.

In any case, great pens, and thank you for letting us know what "Misc" was. :)

Yep . . . miscellaneous could mean aything so I guess I'll have to call it a mystery pattern for now. :wink:

Top Bottom