Nice piece of Desert Ironwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeL

MikeL

Can't remember where I got this nice piece of Arizona ironwood but who ever I got it from deserves some credit for great grain patterns. I usually am most impressed by burls but have to say there is plenty of great looking wood besides burls. Its a CA finish, sanded, and buffed with the buffing wheels.

Attachments

• DesertIronWood2.jpg
    DesertIronWood2.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 349
  • DesertIronWood3.jpg
    DesertIronWood3.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 266
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That is BEAUTIFUL! I have a small piece that looks like that that may make 2-3 blanks from. It is finished on one side, so I think it was from a table top or a previous project (not mine).

Stunning patterns. :good:

Jim Smith

Beautiful job! DIW is my favorite wood to make pens from and your pen is an excellent example of why. Gorgeous piece to DIW and great job on the fit and finish.

Jim Smith

BSea

I'm also a fan of DIW. The 3D effect can rival curly Koa. Your finish is outstanding. Great job! :good:

The only thing I don't like about DIW is that it smells like old dirt when you turn it. Better than some things like antler, but certainly not aromatic. :rolleyes:

Charlie_W

That is one gorgeous pen! Well done!

Your first pic background shows to be "black &a white" while the pen in color really pops! Very nice choice!

Last edited:

MikeL

Thanks for the comments. Yes, this wood does have an odor during the turning process! However this piece was stabilized and it really cut down on the fine sawdust and the smell. (First stabilized iron wood I've ever bought). I think I bought it over a year ago but can't remember the source otherwise I would be ordering some more.

Top Bottom