Nice 'n' Creamy Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Timebandit

Timebandit

Here is my third attempt. It Cream Lucite and I went with a different shape on this one. I am fairly happy with it. Again i had to use a regular nib as i am still waiting on my nib feeds from heritance to show up so i can start making matching front sections. I also had trouble photoing this pen so i had to go with the black background which makes the front section disappear, which i dont like.

Anyway, all comment welcome

Thanks for looking

Justin

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN0640.jpg
    DSCN0640.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 514
  • DSCN0642.jpg
    DSCN0642.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 498
  • DSCN0644.jpg
    DSCN0644.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 494
  • DSCN0645.jpg
    DSCN0645.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 503
  • DSCN0648.jpg
    DSCN0648.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 499
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

That is a gorgeous pen. Simple and striking with the contrasting black and white nib section and pen body, respectively. Technically, another one of your kitless wonders!!! :)Thanks for showing. Doc

Texatdurango

....Anyway, all comment welcome....

I have three comments;

1. First, the pen looks nice, I like the overall shape.

2. I think I would have made the wall thickness of the cap a bit thinner which would in turn reduce the lower body diameter. This would make the transition from the lower body to the male cap threads a little less. As an example, say you move from a 5/8" diameter to a 1/2" dia lower body. I guess the only downside would be that the lucite is so transparant that you might see through the cap.

3. I think the black section with the white body looks fine as it is and probably wouldn't make a matching section, but that's just personal taste.

Rick P

Very nice! Personally I have often thought "I wish I didn't have to put that dang clip on this" especially when using the more exotic materials. Next time I turn Mammoth bone I just might try and turn it without exposed hardware.

ldb2000

Great looking pen , the shape is just right . The only nit I have to pick is the transition between the threads and body . you either need to turn the body a little thinner or chamfer the step so it don't look so big . If you chamfer the step and the inside of the cap it can still fit with a small seam and would look a little less balky at the transition .

cnirenberg

Justin,
That is a sharp looking pen. I am going to have to agree with both George and Butch on the barrel transition area. Overall it is one sweet looking pen.

Timebandit

You going to try a clip next Justin?

Yep. As soon as i can get something accurate enough to cut me a little slot without destroying my work. Also thinking about a different way to attach the clip:biggrin:

....Anyway, all comment welcome....

I have three comments;

1. First, the pen looks nice, I like the overall shape.

2. I think I would have made the wall thickness of the cap a bit thinner which would in turn reduce the lower body diameter. This would make the transition from the lower body to the male cap threads a little less. As an example, say you move from a 5/8" diameter to a 1/2" dia lower body. I guess the only downside would be that the lucite is so transparant that you might see through the cap.

3. I think the black section with the white body looks fine as it is and probably wouldn't make a matching section, but that's just personal taste.

Thanks. I agree with you. The diameter needs to go down some for sure. These are just kind of the trial pens to get the sizes dialed in a little bit. I also wanted the pen to flow with no breaks, so getting the seam to match meant that the lower barrel had to be larger. The mandrels i made are 5/8 so i have just been turning to the size. And like you said, the downside would be the transparency of the Lucite.

And the more i look at the pen, i like the black front section as well. Might just make me a black one for it.

Thanks

Great looking pen , the shape is just right . The only nit I have to pick is the transition between the threads and body . you either need to turn the body a little thinner or chamfer the step so it don't look so big . If you chamfer the step and the inside of the cap it can still fit with a small seam and would look a little less balky at the transition .

Thanks Butch. I have been thinking a bout chamfering the step, but on this pen i wanted the upper and lower barrel to be flush, so that kind of x'd the chamfer plan. I will probably do that on a different shape though. And i have been putting a chamfer in my caps. Just looks better and cleans up the threads on the edge. Then i also polish that chamfer so it shines like the rest of the pen. I think thats a nice little touch of detail. Also the diameter of the pen is a little large. Its 5/8 so if i could have brought it down a bit the step wouldnt have been so pronounced. My next few will be a little smaller diameter.

Top Bottom