Newport rollerball in Blue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Xander

Xander

Here is my 5th pen. It is a Newport in Black Titanium (Rockler).

Turned on a HF lathe with HF tools ($20) and cheap bushings. Sanded to 600, then wet MicroMesh - all 9 grades. No polish (I need to get some)

Since I'm really new at this and I have no idea about values/selling prices, any thoughts on what I could sell this pen for would be greatly appreciated. As always, any comments on fit and finish are welcome.
Thanks

Forgot to mention the blank was reverse painted Testors Metalic Blue enamel. I would recommend NOT using enamel paints in future, takes WAY too long to dry.

P3180157-1-1.jpg

P3180156-1.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

(Quote) Forgot to mention the blank was reverse painted Testors Metalic Blue enamel. I would recommend NOT using enamel paints in future, takes WAY too long to dry.(quote)

The most important aspect of reverse painting the hole is the opacity of the paint used - the more opaque , the better . Time (usually just overnight) should be a matter of planning . In the winter , I set mine over a hot air register to take advantage of the furnace fan .

P3180156-1.jpg

Xander

Thanks everyone. That photo is directly from the camera with no fotoshop.

I think I'm going to like this new hobby and if I can make a few $$, even better.

I'm still learning, each new pen is a new learning experience, but I feel confident that I can make a pen of sellable quality. Now it's just a matter of getting 'faster' but really I have no problem taking 2 or 3 days to complete a pen.

ghostrider

I think I'm going to like this new hobby and if I can make a few $$, even better.

I'm still learning, each new pen is a new learning experience, but I feel confident that I can make a pen of sellable quality. Now it's just a matter of getting 'faster' but really I have no problem taking 2 or 3 days to complete a pen.
Don't feel bad. I'm still taking too long, but I'd rather turn them out slow, than destroy blanks, and make bad pens.

Lenny

Looking good!

For a polish after the mm you might want to try Meguiars PlastX .... I found mine at a local car parts store but it's also available at Wally World among other places.

Xander

Don't feel bad. I'm still taking too long, but I'd rather turn them out slow, than destroy blanks, and make bad pens.

Most of that time is drying time for the paint and glue. Turning, finishing and assembly is ... not bad, an hour or so.

ghostrider

Looking good!

For a polish after the mm you might want to try Meguiars PlastX .... I found mine at a local car parts store but it's also available at Wally World among other places.
You can also get it at Harbor Freight since I know you like to go there. You can wait for a coupon, or use a 20% off.

BSea

That's a great looking pen. I put my painted blanks in front of a fan so the air is blown through the tubes. You usually have to weight them down to keep from blowing away. Maybe I'm using too big of a fan.:rolleyes:

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Ed,

Nice Looking Pen. Any chance you could measure the bushing diameters, tube diameters and tube lengths for Bushing and Tube Chart in the Library?

Thanks

Xander

Ed,

Nice Looking Pen. Any chance you could measure the bushing diameters, tube diameters and tube lengths for Bushing and Tube Chart in the Library?

Thanks
Yep, I can do that. It's the same bushing set as for the Jr Gent.

From the "tip" end, 0.48", 0.48", 0.534", 0.562" at the clip (according to instructions)

Actual measured = 0.45", 0.47", 0.53", 0.53".

Tube length, lower = 2.1", upper = 1.82" measured on finished pen.

Drills, 31/64, 13/32

Hope that helps

Top Bottom