Newest Pen almost glows!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jontello

Jontello

As you all know I like to do things different and apply my fine art painting techniques. So this is my latest attempt at another Japaning pen (Urushi imitation). I really like how this one turned out and how the gold leaf almost glows underneath all the paint. There are 10+ layers of paint on this. The base is a random wood. Some more that I am working on. I was able to visit Martin (ManvPropria) in Bern this past Monday and learned a lot. Hopefully by next year sometime I will be making real urushi pens and not this imitation stuff (more about my visit on a later post with pictures). His studio is AMAZING! Great guy too.

Thanks for looking!

2420c231832ba24487c51f53a101ef18.jpg
bf8fb7357f15c2a0670ae6441ea4119a.jpg
e67ceac69d717718702e589014016700.jpg
787850067b79a85a12848b7d95f9ac27.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Jon, the pen you show is fantastic !!! . I love the subtle tones coming through.

It will be great for you to learn as much as you can from Martin about urushi !!! . (I know there are a few miles between you, but not as many as when you return home)

I would relish to have the same opportunity ... I love Martin's urushis !

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Jon - The Ohio Chapter misses you and your artistry, but we expect amazing things when you get a chance to visit! :glasses-nerdy:

Beautiful pen - one of my three favorite kits this past year (Jr Gent; Baron; Knurl) - maybe a bit utilitarian, but the mechanism has never failed, and casual users like the feel of the kit (I hope they liked the finished blank...:redface:). I have 3 carry pens, and all are Knurl.

I know you have wanted to get a visit to Martin on your calendar. Well done, and I suspect time well invested! And KUDO's for Martin to welcome you; teaching/sharing is an admirable virtue, and less and less are willing to be teachers/mentors! Sigh...

Let's see Buddy... Lessons from Martin, taps and dies on the way... I see some fun in the next few months. :)

stuckinohio

That looks very familiar:biggrin:

Jon, Hope you don't mind me posting pictures of another one of your creations, since it is in the same family as this!

Attachments

• seashell 2 jon tello.jpg
    seashell 2 jon tello.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 135
  • seashell pen jon tello.jpg
    seashell pen jon tello.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 133

OZturner

Excellent Pen Jon,
I feel that your Photographs have been photo shopped in some way as the Contrast and Outlines are not very sharp.
Well done on visiting Martin, it is to his credit that he is willing to Mentor and share his Knowledge and Unique Techniques. :cool:
Congratulations,
Brian.

Jontello

Mark.

I also miss the Ohio chapter as well. Weird not seeing everyone at Hartville hardware. When I come back hopefully I will have some fun things to show.

The pen that Lewis is showing was made out of wood and handpainted but has crushed shells embedded into several layers to give it some depth. I was trying to get the look of a Raden urushi pen.

Brian. The pictures are not as clear on some parts. I was using my wife's camera which has a very specific lens that is great for softening (blurring) the background. But when taking the pictures of pens it also softens parts of the pen as well. I did not know that until I was completely done with the photo shoot. I did not do anything to alter the look of the photograph. Next time I will go back to my camera, less fancy but better for what I need.

Jon

Top Bottom