newest inlays

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jssmith3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jssmith3

These are some of the pens I have been working on lately. I am sending them to a gallery in Seattle Washington that want to carry my pens :D I will also be sending them some painted ones but I haven't finished them yet.

Have a great evening,
Janet :)

Yes, I know I take terrible pictures
tn_P1000835.jpg
tn_P1000834.jpg
tn_P1000836.jpg

I tried to redo the pictures, I hope these are better. :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Well you stole my thunder... [:D] I was just today looking to see what I had to do a couple of Kokopelli and Salamander inlays... not into dolphins, although my sister in law is nuts about them.

Cool pens.. well done!

Gary Max

Pens are Great----heck I like all three of them. Glad to see you are moving up to a Gallery. Keep us posted as to how it works out.

Skye

Love the first one. Are you still using a dremel for this? If so, you're nearing laser accuracy!

Ausdan

Once again Janet - very nice!!! Not sure of the wood but your design and colour on the one in the middle really stands out nicely against the darker coloured wood.

jssmith3

Originally posted by chitswood
<br />Great job Janet!
What are the woods?
Thanks Darrick, the woods are osage orange, amboyna burl and mac. ebony. I really like the osage orange, the picture doesn't do it justice, I just went and got more of it today before the local guy runs out.

Thanks again for the nice compliments everyone.

jssmith3

Originally posted by Charles
<br />Janet, how are you doing the inlays? Is there a tutorial? Pens are really nice!
Hi Charles, I am doing the inlay freestyle with a dremel tool and dental drill bits. There is not a tutorial as of yet but if I ever get the time I will.

Thanks,

jssmith3

Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />Janet,
Are you doing the inlay after or before the turning...

I do the inlay after the turning, make sure you put a layer of CA glue on before drilling and inlaying, this will stop the glue from absorbing into the outer areas of the wood and possibly dicoloring it to the point of having to sand to far down to get the glue off. After you inlay your crushed stone then use the gap filling CA till its over the top of the wood level, let dry without using fixative (causes bubbles) then sand with a fingernail file back down to wood level, return it to the lathe and sand the surrounding glue off then finish as usual. I would recommend a CA finish though.

Hope this helps,

P.S. if anyone tries this please post a picture for me.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom