Newb's First Post, and Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ghostrider

ghostrider

Hello folks,

I've been lurking for awhile now, and thought I'd finally post.

I'd like to say a big thanks to everyone here for all the helpful advice, and info, and an even bigger thanks to the people at my local Woodcraft who have put up with all my questions, and been so helpful.

I've wanted to make my own pen for some time now, but never really took the plunge until recently. I hadn't even done much wood working since junior high school over 20 years ago until this past year when I started a few small projects.

Back in January, I was finally able to participate in my local Woodcraft's "Turning For Troops", and after that started looking into ways I could do this myself (I don't have a lathe, and the shop I'm using doesn't have the power for one, so I have to make do with what I do have available".) What I am using to turn things is my table top drill press (difficult enough to drill the blanks with only a 2" spindle throw). It's not the best tool for the job, but it's what I have to work with. It does the job, but just takes longer (A lot longer. Before I made my own bushings for the Slim Line, I didn't even have enough room to turn both blanks from that kit at the same time. After making my own set of bushings, I can now turn both blanks together, but my first Slim Line was one blank at a time.)

First pen (I don't count the Woodcraft pen since I had a bit of help) was the blond cigar in Australian Cypress. A friend had a bunch of flooring (in that wood) left over from a project, so he gave me a bunch of scraps. It wasn't until after drilling five or six (can't quite remember exactly, but it was at least five) sets of blanks, and having them crack (the one set that didn't crack blew apart while turning), that I learned from research that this particular wood has a reputation as being very brittle (yeah, no kidding. lol). At that point, I decide to make the most of it since it was my "Practice run", and just used CA glue to bond the cracks. Now, I actually like the way the cracks give it an authentic look. Kind of like an old barn. Finish was three to four coats of medium CA applied with EEE Ultra-Shine, followed by a thin coat of Mylands High Build Friction Polish.

The second pen I did was the one that the first pen was practice for. It's a black TN cigar in a Wenge blank I picked up in a Woodcraft I visited during my travels. I tried my best to follow Russ Fairfield's videos on the BLO/CA finish with this one, and think I ended up with about six coats of the medium CA to finish. I'm very pleased with this piece. I know there are some cloudy mistakes in the finish (part of the problems with using the wrong tools is the growing impatience to just finally get the job done.), and I think I could have used less coats, but I am still very happy.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All images Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My next pen was a Slim Line in Leopardwood finished with the EEE applied medium CA as done on the blond cigar, and then followed with two coats of Mylands. I almost determined that I would never do another Slim Line after this one because it took so long turning one blank at a time. Fortunately the inspiration to make my own bushings came from this site.

The last one I did was another Slim Line but in Walnut. This was the first one I did with my homemade bushings (going to have to make another set now that I have a true 7mm bit I purchased last night. I'd been using a 9/32" bit before now. Made making blanks, and pens a little more difficult I think, I also think I'll be able to make a better fitting set of bushings with it.), so it was the first slim line attempt while doing both barrels at the same time (BTW: I have to forego the center bushing while turning this kit). I made this one for a friend who just recently started a job search. Hoping it will help.

Again, all images were uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sorry about the poor picture quality. Some of these (especially the Wenge Cigar) look much better in person.

Thanks for looking. Any comments are welcome. I know I still have a lot of mistakes to polish up on, but am still overall happy with the results.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Negative Ghostrider - the pattern is full!....

(Sorry - I don't get to use Top Gun lines very often!)

Nice pens! Nothing to apologize for! Stick around and enjoy the fun.

ghostrider

Negative Ghostrider - the pattern is full!....

(Sorry - I don't get to use Top Gun lines very often!)

Nice pens! Nothing to apologize for! Stick around and enjoy the fun.
Thanks,

I've heard that line before. lol.

Funny thing is, I'd forgotten about that in that movie until someone said that to me last year. He had to explain it to me. lol.

bensoelberg

I'm impressed you were able to get such good results with a drill press. There are some less expensive lathes available out there that would be worth looking into. Nice job!

ghostrider

I'm impressed you were able to get such good results with a drill press. There are some less expensive lathes available out there that would be worth looking into. Nice job!
Tried that (still have one of them), and it's a no go. I'm doing this at the office where I work at, and the power supply just isn't enough for the lathe. My guess is that it was only wired up for the lighting, and that's why it doesn't push the lathe.

Oh how I wish it would run the lathe! Sometimes you just have to figure out how to work with what you have.

Thanks for the comps though. Using the DP is time consuming because of the switching back and forth. Also, the DP is too short for the attachment. I can barely fit the mandrel in with the Cigar pen (actually had to cut about 1 1/4" off the mandrel), and the supplied tool rest is too long to allow me to get close enough with the chisels.

http://grizzly.com/products/H8071

Last pen plus the bushings took about four hours. I'm sure I'll get that down a bit with practice, but there's no getting around the time of having to convert the machine back and forth from drill press to lathe (not to mention truing up the blanks for drilling since the table isn't true to the bit).

Top Bottom