Newbie tries segments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davinci27

davinci27

I tried something a little different tonight. I was pretty hapy with the results. The wood from dark to light is Bolivian Rosewood, Tiger maple, Maple Burl. The silver lines are pieces of coke cans. The red from the can bled a little, so I'll look for something different for the next one. The finish is a CA/BLO finish MM'd to 12000. Please make any comments and criticisms. I've only been doing this for a few weeks so I'm definatly looking for ways to improve.

Thanks
Ben

Attachments

• segments2.jpg
    segments2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 319
  • segments1.jpg
    segments1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 248
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

Nice job on the seg. Clean from what I can see. I like the angle and the placement of the lines. I'm not such a fan of the wasp shape, but to each his own.
Over-all, nice job. Oh, and nice finish too.

igran7

Considering the amount of time you've been making pens, this is a very impressive attempt. The segments look good, and your finish is very nice. Keep up the good work.

Brandon25

Looks very impressive! If I may, I think the slender segment, between the darkest wood and the burl, should be a more uniform color, with less grain pattern. Seems like the grain not being 100% perfectly parallel to the segments makes the segmented sections look sloppy, when they really are not.

Great looking pen though. I like the choice of where you did the segmenting a lot. :)

workinforwood

Nice pen. Sand all the paint off the coke can, that solves the bleading and gives you better adhesion too. I cut the top and bottom off then cut from bottom to top and flatten it out into a big sheet and sand both sides before cutting it to size.

pianomanpj

Nice job! :biggrin:
To eliminate the red from bleeding, take some very fine grit sandpaper to scuff up both sides of your aluminum. It has the advantage of giving it some tooth while also removing the ink.

davinci27

Thanks for all the nice comments. I'm really enjoying turning stuff, and I've got so much info and so many ideas from the folks here.

On the shape I tend to turn all of my slimlines with a bulge at the bottom. I like to have something to squeeze when I'm writing. I'm still working on consistency though, this bulge is bigger than it should be. If I had had another kit around I would have put it on a bigger frame. I could have waited to get a new kit, but I was anxious to get the blank turned and see what it looked like.

I agree that the maple grain makes the thinner segment look a little off especially in the photo. When your holding the pen you can tell that its grain and not segments. I would have been better to cut those segments cross grain instead. I would have like to have something with a little tighter grain, but I'm limited on what wood I have around.

Thanks for the idea of sanding the can. I though about that after I turned the pen, but I was worried sanding might thin the aluminum out too much. Glad to see it won't.

I'll have more to show soon. I've already glued up one with a vertical segment. I'm a bit worried about that one. It's a little tough to get that drill to run perfectly parallel to the vertical lines. I'm worried about the lines being off center once it is turned. I'm going to build a vacum fence this weekend, so I can hold the little pieces without losing little pieces of my fingers.

Thanks Again
Ben

SamThePenMan

Nice work. Maybe I'll try using some metal with my next segment. I sort of like the shape of the bottom barrel, but the top sort of looks plain, atleast in the photos.

Top Bottom