Newbie from Colorado Springs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from spaceengravers

Hi all. Thought I'd introduce myself and show you my first couple of projects. I'm Mike and I'm an active duty Air Force member living in the Fountain/COS area. I've been woodworking on a small scale all of my life. I like doing things like coin holders, boxes, intarsia, etc. My wife and I own a laser engraving business (shameless plug for www.space-engravers.com)...so if anyone would like to trade services for extra blanks, kits, etc. give me a hollar. I've wanted to get into pen turning for years but for one reason or another have always put it off. I finally just jumped in. Got a used Jet 1014 from a guy in the local area about a week ago, stopped by Woodcraft and got some kits and supplies and started after it. The pictures attached are the results of my efforts.

I'm pretty happy with the results of the emerald green acrylic pen (blank from Woodcraft) and my wife has already confiscated it. It was a basic slimline kit (also from Woodcraft).

The other pen is made from deer antler and bloodwood. My wife brought the antler back from OK yesterday and I had the bloodwood around from previous projects. Truth be told, I actually started with padauk but it shattered...do I have to stabilize this?

The antler and bloodwood turned very easy and both individually turned out very nicely. But I really don't like the combination of the two and the profiles don't really match well. So I plan to buy another kit and make a matching antler and a matching bloodwood, then have two pens...

Anyway, I'm open to any feedback! I'm learning alot already!

Attachments

• Emerald Green.jpg
    Emerald Green.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 190
  • Pen 1 - Antler and Bloodwood.jpg
    Pen 1 - Antler and Bloodwood.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

I like the antler. I am use to the antler being on top. This is a nice change. Good thing you finally showed up.

Welcome, sometimes blanks just explode. Sometimes has to do with the blank not sticking to the tube. I have to agree with you about the antler/bloodwood pen, the fit and finish do look good. If you have any questions please ask.

dankc908

Nice looking pens! I especially like the way you did the antler/bloodwood pen. As regards the padauk - take small cuts and don't let the blank get 'too hot'. I've had good luck with the padauk - I've blown out some bloodwood before, however!

Dan

broitblat

Welcome!

I think the antler/bloodwood combination looks good, but agree that the bloodwood profile could be a little heavier or the antler thinner. I like the green one, too. I look forward to seeing what else you turn out.

-Barry

Mr Vic

Welcome Mike. The folks at Woodcraft are a great bunch. Always helpful as are the great bunch of folks here at the IAP.

Top Bottom