A newbie challenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from solobiker

solobiker

I decided to try a more challenging type of pen where I had to turn a tenon for the center ring. I came out fairly well for this newbie so I am happy. I love to see all the pens that everyone on this site shows. There is a lot of talent here. I want to be like that when I grow up. :tongue:

Attachments

• DSCN9949.jpg
    DSCN9949.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 239
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fay Prozora

Another beautiful pen! I have been saving some scraps of wood that I cut off my blanks as I have seen a video of a pen that had a pretty blue piece of acrylic in the center instead of the ring that kit supplies and it was so nice. I want to try that. I'm too chicken yet to try it. Great job! Fay

rossvh

Nice job! I agree - there is a lot of talent and information on this site. I use it every day. Just remember, we learn more from our mistakes than our successes - and I've had my share of mistakes. Must mean I'm "learned". :)

RossVH

plantman

Nice job! I agree - there is a lot of talent and information on this site. I use it every day. Just remember, we learn more from our mistakes than our successes - and I've had my share of mistakes. Must mean I'm "learned". :)

RossVH

Ross; That is also the way I got so smart and "learnned". Over 70 years of mistakes, many of them more than once !! Yes, there is a vast amount of talent and diversifcation on this site from it's members !!! Jim S

plano_harry

Nice pen! Tenons may be a little intimidating at first, but it is a skill you will need a lot. Some people like to keep working on a style to perfect it. I enjoyed trying different styles to see which ones I liked to make and which ones sold the best.

BJohn

Nicely done ! And yes tenons at first are a bit un-nerving but after a bit you will get used to it.

And like Fay mentioned don't through your scraps away. I have a box of them that will & do come in handy. From making custom finial's, handles on small lidded box's and of course a custom center band.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Nice pen & +1 on keeping your scraps. I save the large coffee cans we use at work to store my cutoffs. They really do come in handy sometimes.

plantman

Nice pen & +1 on keeping your scraps. I save the large coffee cans we use at work to store my cutoffs. They really do come in handy sometimes.

Ed; Every time I look in my cutoff box I think of the words to a big country hit song. "This is just my temporary home". Jim S

BSea

Well, you're certainly growing up fast. That's a very nice pen. If you want to have some real fun with that kit, throw away the centerband, and do a custom centerband. You can also do a custom finial in the same shape, or something else. There are so many options for Euro's & slimlines. I love those kits.

Top Bottom