New Years Day Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from UKpenmaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

UKpenmaker

Or you could say a BigRob Showcase (all of the wood is from him cheers Rob:D)

Black Striped Paduak, a pitb to turn wants to tear out at the first possible moment. Very gentle cuts and very sharp tools are the answer for this wood.

200711153949_BSP.jpg

Huangana Negra, doesn't look much good when you get as a blank but when it's finished, it's very nice indeed, well i think so.[:p]

200711154342_HN.jpg

Another one of my Swirling pens (well 3 actually) taken a step further and tried it with 3 different blanks rather than just the 2.

Blue & Red Dyed Curly Maple & Holly

200711154635_RWB.jpg

I had a read of Kiddo's tutorial on cleaning photos thought i would give it a go.

comments welcome as always

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

Andrew,
Man, you're making me blush.[:D][:I] Thanks for posting this. I couldn't have asked for a better testimonial. Your handling of the materials really stands out, especially with those fantastic finishes and awesome segmentations.

Tommy,
That's a combination of some amazing wood, which is all sold, and his excellent finishing technique. It took me half an hour to turn my fat pen, that was given away for Christmas and I barely got it round. This stuff is really hard and I wish I had two of them. It was a single board I found at an AAW meeting. Nothing else looked like it and I thought it was cocobolo, at first. I had to ask the folks at the desk, and they identified it as padauk. The open grain attested to that as well.

Thanks again Andrew and keep on turning,
Rob

BTW Andrew, you just qualified for a free pomelle bubinga pen blank, with your next order.[:D]

UKpenmaker

Hi Angela, i have never had much problem with the darker colours gettign onto the holly (whether it's because the other blanks are stabilized[?]). the little bit i do get i just clean the blank with White Spirit before finishing (DNA would probobly do the same.)

BigRob777

Andrew,
Awesome. I have to cut up some of the holly logs, but they'll need to dry and the blackwood supplier is on vacation (holiday). I ordered the blackwood a week ago, but they haven't gotten back to me yet, with my bill. It should be here in a week. It's big stuff too (1" squares).
Thanks again for mentioning your source (me).
I might be able to stand long enough today, to do some work. My back's been out all year.[8D]
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom