New Wood Turner, First Pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kanxrus

Kanxrus

I recently got into pen making, and I love it! I would consider myself self taught based on the information I was able to grab from AIP and YouTube. All comments, either good or bad are welcome.

HackBerryBurlPen1.JPG

The pen was made from Hackberry Burl with the Chrome Retro Pen Kit.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Katsin

Looks great. Good job aligning the grain and making the blank fit up well to the kit. Much better than my first pen. Did you apply finish to the wood?

OOPS

I have to agree... it IS much better than my first pen and also much better than the first Retro pen I made. I really like making these Retros but you hardly ever see them here. It is a beautiful piece of wood you used. Welcome to the group and thanks for posting your photo here.

Kanxrus

Looks great. Good job aligning the grain and making the blank fit up well to the kit. Much better than my first pen. Did you apply finish to the wood?

Thanks everyone for your replies! I sanded up to 600, then MM'd to 12,000. Finished with a brown paper bag, then put on a few coats of BEHLEN Master Woodturners Finish. Don't dare try it with the CA glue, at least not on my first go around.

wiset1

Really great first pen! I like how you lined everything up...real attention to detail

robutacion

I recently got into pen making, and I love it! I would consider myself self taught based on the information I was able to grab from AIP and YouTube. All comments, either good or bad are welcome.

OK, your IAP name looks pretty familiar to me from very recent dealings, is this right...???:wink::biggrin:

Great pen and an impressive blank you have as a backing, for a first pen you did do a beautiful job and when it comes to taken pics, you aren't that bad either...!:wink::)

Welcome!

Cheers
George

shadrach1944

Really looks Great! Especially being you first pen, My first didn't look nearly that good. I gave it to my Son so I feel I still have it. Be sure to keep it. Thanks for sharing!

Sincerely,
Raymond

ctubbs

I really hate to have to burst your bubble. You are already in deep trouble. You may have already gone past the point of no return. That first pen, especially one that is a complete success such as yours is, is all too often the falling off point into "THE ADDICTION!" Your only hope of sving yourself is to immediately pack up all your lathe tools, lathe, blanks and kits, oh yes, and that wonderful pen you posted and send it all to me, postage paid. That way, and only that way, you stand the slimiest chance of being cured of it.

Just kidding. My first pen went the way of so many of my other failures, in the 55 gallon barrel of oops most of us have handy. Yours, on the other hand, is a genuine keeper. To practice the CA finish, grab some trash wood and drill a 1/4" hole in it, square the ends and put it on the mandrel. No tube needed. Turn it and apply some CA. Looks awful? Fine, just turn the finish off and do it again. That way you have not destroyed any good expensive blanks learning how to do the CA finish and you have something to photograph when you need to ask a question about what you did wrong. That makes giving help on the finish much easier. Have fun, make a whole bunch of shavings and be careful. Oh, I almost forgot, if you do not have any type of dust collection, that is an absolute must.
Charles

patmurris

Very impressive for a first pen... As ctubbs says, you are most certainly past the addiction point now. Very good picture too! I wish i could take such nice shots of my pens.

Kanxrus

OK, your IAP name looks pretty familiar to me from very recent dealings, is this right...???:wink::biggrin:

Great pen and an impressive blank you have as a backing, for a first pen you did do a beautiful job and when it comes to taken pics, you aren't that bad either...!:wink::)

Welcome!

Cheers
George

That's correct, I just placed a large order with George! It's too late for me now, no heading back to the real world! I will post a picture when I turn one of Georges Resifill's. Sorry CTUBBS I think I'm incurable!

Dust collection is a annoying problem, I've see a bunch of different types. I have a shop-vac with the large square mouth attachment secured under the mandrel for now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom