new wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from laurie sullivan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the story....my brother works for the studio's on different movie sets. Right now it's Sony Pictures here locally. Well, they get laminated panels from overseas for the set and it is shipped on pallets, which are strapped with other wood so it won't warp, (seeing it comes by ship and will be at sea for 6 months). Well, the other wood this time is mahogany and oak and, I'm told, white mahogany (heavily spalted). The 2 pens are of the white mahogany, the first is straight grain and the other is cross cut. i like the cross cut the best.

Laurie

DSC_0059600x399.jpg

DSC_0061600x399.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Congratulations on the free exotic wood. BTW, both pens are very nice and I agree that the crosscut is the better of the two IMHO! If you watch the pallets at different stores that import you would be surprised what they are often made from. I have sever mahogany 4x4 center pieces that are very dirty, but that's what a table saw is for. I always drive behind Home Depot just to look at their pallet selection. (If you see one you want ALWAYS ask as their security can get rather nasty with you if you don't!) Another "source" is some of the import furniture places like Pier One Imports... Prior to cutting these things be danged sure and check for nails and other debris ...

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Nice work, Laurie. Your brother sounds like he is worth keeping. [8D] Does this mean he might be able to get you a gig as an extra so we can all see you on the silver screen? [?] [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom