New Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from keithbyrd

keithbyrd

I cut this wood on my brother-in-laws ranch over the holidays in California. I really like it! Turns well, finishes easy and I think it looks great! I don't have a lot of it but if someone guesses the wood I will send you a nice blank!!

Attachments

• 01dda114f392b65071084b9cc5ba6f40a201397b53.jpg
    01dda114f392b65071084b9cc5ba6f40a201397b53.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 420
  • 01ddb84a327131eb598b53caa850a36b2965488c58.jpg
    01ddb84a327131eb598b53caa850a36b2965488c58.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 359

Psychmike22

I like the wood a lot. My guess is cypress. What pen kit is that? or should I guess too?

robutacion

Humm...! OK so, not being from down under, makes it a little more difficult for me however, I thought that was Manzanita but that has already been clarified as incorrect so, I don't know.

Looking at it, if you haven't mentioned from where it came from, I would be guessing the possibility to be one of 3 of my woods, #26 Platypus Gum, #28 Flamewood or Stone Acacia, blanks cut in diagonal...!

I believe, the wood was cut in diagonal, could you please confirm that...???

Whatever the wood is, that blank looks stunning, those reds are out of this world, enhanced with your perfect gloss finish, I like it very much, shame that I can't guess the correct name and win one of those blanks however, if you can spare one more for my collection, I would exchange it with 4 of mine at your choice...!:wink::biggrin:

PS: I just looked at a piece I have in here and I thought that could be it, there is, Eastern Red Cedar

Cheers
George

Last edited:

keithbyrd

We have a winner!!

mountain mahogany

Mountain Mahogany - I really like this - the tree is really very gnarly twisted thing with dark red bark. I got a couple of garly peieces and a small burl.

Congratulations 1080Wayne. Tell me how you selected tht particular tree?
PM me your address and I will select nice blank for you and will ship it out in the next week. (traveling this week!)

George - it wasn't diagonal cut - it was cut from a piece of the burl that had rather curvey grain patterns running through it.

Last edited:

keithbyrd

Humm...! OK so, not being from down under, makes it a little more difficult for me however, I thought that was Manzanita but that has already been clarified as incorrect so, I don't know.

Looking at it, if you haven't mentioned from where it came from, I would be guessing the possibility to be one of 3 of my woods, #26 Platypus Gum, #28 Flamewood or Stone Acacia, blanks cut in diagonal...!

I believe, the wood was cut in diagonal, could you please confirm that...???

Whatever the wood is, that blank looks stunning, those reds are out of this world, enhanced with your perfect gloss finish, I like it very much, shame that I can't guess the correct name and win one of those blanks however, if you can spare one more for my collection, I would exchange it with 4 of mine at your choice...!:wink::biggrin:

PS: I just looked at a piece I have in here and I thought that could be it, there is, Eastern Red Cedar

Cheers
George
Thank you George - I would be happy to send you one! Just PM your address.

Top Bottom