new turner-new pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Reb

Reb

Please I know I'll never make it in Photo Business:D:D
Whata all think of my first pens? Don't hold back!!!

20084420812_Pens2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sfolivier

They all look very nice (although I'm not crazy about the red blank). It tough however to comment on such a small picture. Is the ironwood turned flush with the bushing or is slightly underturned? It's often a reflection effect from the picture.

In any case congratulations! I especially like the fact that you started making pens you wanted to make, as opposed to settling down for endless raws of practice slimline. Obviously, from the result, it was the right decision.

bitshird

Nice looking pens,unusually encouraging to see a new turner jumping right into mid line pens, especially snakewood and all in one piece, that in and of it's self is an extrreem accomplishment

Reb

Thanks guys, Yes all pens flush with bushings. I'm going to get photo tent and lits this weekend. This Forum is a great help-I looked over all newbe list before I turned, Thanks

rherrell

Originally posted by Reb

Thanks guys, Yes all pens flush with bushings. I'm going to get photo tent and lits this weekend. This Forum is a great help-I looked over all newbe list before I turned, Thanks
Wrong answer, Reb.:D
Bushings are almost never the same size as the hardware. Get 'em close with bushings but use calipers for the final fit. Nice pens, by the way!;)

randyrls

Originally posted by rherrell

Originally posted by Reb

Wrong answer, Reb.:D
Bushings are almost never the same size as the hardware. Get 'em close with bushings but use calipers for the final fit. Nice pens, by the way!;)

Reb; Very impressive! Excellent workmanship!

Rick's comment about bushings is right on; unlike the bushings. Get two 4" digital calipers. You can often get them on special for about $10.00 each. I always take bushings and file or sand them until they are about .005" smaller than the target finished size of the blanks. I don't hit the bushings with my tools! I use calipers to size tha blanks. I have found bushings as much as .020" off size!

Tip: With Digital calipers set the calipers on the fitting, and then press the "zero button". Now when you measure the blank size you see how much oversize you are and how much you have to take off.

Reb

I gota tell you-you guys are great with all the help. I never thought of checking the bushings. I'm glad you guys caught it before I went to much further.

Top Bottom