New turner here.. Here's my 1st couple.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Firefyter-emt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Just got my pen turning set the other day from PSI (I bought the stater kit) I was happy to see they sent a nice mandrel in the kit (It's their Maxi Pen Mandrel) Anyway, I guled up a couple of those rosewood blanks they sent and gave it a try.. I am not too happy with some of the desings, but I am new to turning as well and was trying out a couple things. I seem to like the "cleaner" lines as it does not distract from the wood itself. Anyway, I got my order of wood from Chitswood so I drilled and glued up a blank of Granadillo he sent and have it a spin tonight. I am happy with this one, the finish is only the Shellacwax, I will be playing with some others later. I am really kicking myself because I wanted to put a coat of BLO on it and forgot! These were turned on my "temporay" lathe, a 1959 Craftsman I refurbed. I am building a stand for my dedicated pen lathe, she's a bit older.. 1939 Craftsman 9"x30" Take a peek on my website to see the lathes.

Anyway.. Heres the slimline granadillo pencil (I use pencils for work and this one's mine)
And a special thanks to Lee Valley for the background :D

granadillo-pencil-5.jpg

and here are my rosewood ones I made from the PSI kit.
www.yankeetoys.org/lee/rosewood-pen-4.jpg
www.yankeetoys.org/lee/rosewood-pencil-3.jpg
www.yankeetoys.org/lee/rosewood-pen-2.jpg
www.yankeetoys.org/lee/rosewood-pencil-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I REALLY like those refurbed lathes; nice job! The pens look great too, especially for your first couple. Congrats!

Rifleman1776

Your pens are obviously the product of an experience turner. Well done, nice lines. The 1938 Craftsman lathe looks like the same model that my father used. You sure do clean things up nicely. I have seen the electroylsis set up before. The principal is used by restorers of old guns and antiques.

Firefyter-emt

Thanks guys.. I think the lathes may of been a bigger hit [:D] I can't wait to get the old cast iron one set up as the larger one needs a smaller tool rest to do pens. I am way too far away from the stock right now. I have to put an order in for some more pen kits soon, I plan on getting some from Arizona Silhoutte ths time around. Anyone know if one of their kits matches up with PSI's slimline bushings??

pssherman

Lee,
Your 12x39 Chraftsman lathe looks exactly like the lathe I am using except that yours is much better looking. Mine still has the original paint and rust and is mounted on a Craftsman workbench. I also have the long toolrest but had a hard time using it for pens. So I made a shorter (about 6") toolrest using a worn out pin from a 3-point hitch and a piece of flat steel bar. Now I can get right up to the pen blanks.

Paul in AR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom