New to Turing pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from khogan16

khogan16

Hi Folks, I'm new to turning and turning pens. I have been lurking around the site here, learning from the tutorials and reading all of the posts I wanted to post some pictures to see what the community thought of them, So let me know what you think. The pens are as follows: Cross Cut Paduk (pen & Pencil set), Cross Cut Canary wood , Tulipwood ( i think), Black and White Acrylic (looks like orca) This was from a tutorial on the site, you twist the nib to use it, Blue dyed box elder (the twins, both are pens), Red and orange dyed Tiger maple slim line , Orange dyed Tiger maple Panache and a close up of my favorite pen from the twins ( don't tell them that :wink: ) So let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0243.jpg
    IMG_0243.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0246.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Geez! Your getting off to a great start! All of your pens are quite nice. Finish looks good. And, you know, that copper kit looks really nice with the Tulipwood.

By the way, Welcome to IAP! Glad to have you here and hope you continue to learn and enjoy!

There is a thread I think you might like to read . . .
"I wish I had known this earlier"
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

khogan16

Hi Cathy and thank you for the lead on that thread, It has a lot of good info. When I say I just started, I mean that I have been reading about pen turning for over a year. I was buying the equipment a little at a time so I cold afford it. Then in July I finally was able to get the last of the turning tools (my gouges). Since then I have been hooked and thinking of what ways I could change the pens I make, to make them a little different. The Copper kit is really a red enameled kit. The colors of the photo are a little off but the color of the kit are pretty right on. The Tulipwood is just a bit brighter than it really is. I tried to dial it down by adding some green to it, but it just made the rock green, when I went too far.

Thanks for all the great comments folks.

Geez! Your getting off to a great start! All of your pens are quite nice. Finish looks good. And, you know, that copper kit looks really nice with the Tulipwood.

By the way, Welcome to IAP! Glad to have you here and hope you continue to learn and enjoy!

There is a thread I think you might like to read . . .
"I wish I had known this earlier"
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Last edited:
Top Bottom