New tools and a Mesquite slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marc Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Phillips

I got a gift card for my birthday, so in keeping with my tradition of buying stuff that I wouldn't normally get for myself.....

.... I ordered and received a collet chuck and the Sorby 1/16" parting tool...

First the chuck -

I wanted to try one of these for a couple of reasons... and found another reason after trying it that I didn't even think of... 2 more actually :) I wanted one because:
I have tried 3 other mandrels, and still can't get rid of a little bit of wobble
I want to try making a closed end pen eventually
I wanted to try to make tops, Christmas ornaments, etc that my large chuck would need another set of jaws to do

I discovered that:
The wobble was in those other pen mandrels, because now it spins super smooth
I can adjust the length of the mandrel a lot easier than that "pro" mandrel
I can now get the tool rest closer because there is no mandrel nut in the way
I no longer take tiny chunks out of my knuckles because the collet chuck is smooth

Love it... really glad I got it. It was sure a lot bigger and heavier than I thought it would be...

web5352big.jpg

The Robert Sorby parting tool....
robert_sorby_830SH.jpg

Works EXCELLENT!

I was trying to make the pen below and the mesquite and the maple wanted to chip no matter what I did.... so I put the pen on hold and waited for the parting tool to arrive... just to see if it was the indian or the arrows :) It was so easy to make the cuts.... easy to control, be accurate, and it was easy to sharpen.

I added the maple bands because the mesquite kept chipping no matter what I did.... even the ol CA bath didn't stop it... then the maple chipped a little too! ... and still had a chunk missing out of one of the maple bands so I wanted to fill the hole...

I used a plastic bag from the pen kits and the spindle sander and sanded a chunk of maple and captured the dust in the bag... filled the hole, doused with CA, sanded a little, and repeat... looked good until I finished the pen with CA... the hole turned dark. I guess it's the end grain VS face grain thing... it would be kinda handy to be able fill a hole in the lighter woods and have it look decent... works great in the darker wood.... You can see the chunk in the second shot...

Anyhoo, I got to play around with new tools and stuff, and got a pen out of the deal... thought that pen was a goner :) Nothing special about the pen, but was happy I was able to "save" it...

MesquiteMapleBands.jpg

MesquiteMapleBands2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by LostintheWoods
<br />Nice looking pen! And---I kinda like the "birthmark" on the maple band---gives it character. But, I'm a little wierd that way! BTW, who makes your collet chuck?

I got it through Woodcraft.... wanted a Beall, but they don't carry it and the gift card was through Woodcraft, so.... there it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom