New Style For Me (snap cap)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

This is a snap cap kitless (notice, no threads). Since I have a bunch of Jonathon's "Cast offs" I decided I would experiment with a blank (or three). The nib and clip came from Elliot Landes. I learned a ton from making this. And I totally know what I will do next time around. Comments welcome.

Attachments

• Bonn1st3.jpg
    Bonn1st3.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 301
  • Bonn1stopen.jpg
    Bonn1stopen.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Thanks folks! Bruce what were some of the flaws you found in yours (if I may be so bold to ask)?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks folks! Bruce what were some of the flaws you found in yours (if I may be so bold to ask)?
My most recent was using a vintage MB section which has 3 protruding half moons. I tried to make a cap with a lip that would depress these as it slid over and once over them secure it. Still works as a friction fit, but I was hoping for more of a secure snap.
attachment.php

Attachments

• MBSection.JPG
    MBSection.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 425

bluwolf

The plastic caps that come on the nib. You mount them inside the cap

Very nice pen! I love snap caps. I didn't realize you could buy the nib and snap cap separately. Is the snap cap adjustable for secure fit like the kits you can buy? Are they available in different finishes other than the black and gold? And of course, where can you get them?

hewunch

The plastic caps that come on the nib. You mount them inside the cap

Very nice pen! I love snap caps. I didn't realize you could buy the nib and snap cap separately. Is the snap cap adjustable for secure fit like the kits you can buy? Are they available in different finishes other than the black and gold? And of course, where can you get them?

I got the nib from Elliot Landes. It came with a cap. But Darrell is correct in that this is what I wanted the caps for. You can buy the caps, but many of the fountain pen kits come with a cap on the nib.

In my looking around, I did find snap caps for sale (after I had asked for them here). I was actually looking for clips like what Elliot sold (with the ball on the end).

It depends on the cap as to where it can be adjustable. Not all of them need to be adjustable because there is plenty of play in the cap. Others need to be "just right"

wizard

Hans, That is an amazing pen! The snap cap is something that seems so hard to do and you make it look easy! Really like the finial and clip and something I want to learn to do. Great work Hans! Doc:)

Jgrden

My attempt at a snap cap was just okay. I was not happy with the connection. It seemed like my workmanship was not the best. You did real well.

Jeff G

Hi all
Beautiful pen! I am interested in those clips. You mentioned you got them from Elliot, Elliot if you are reading this do you sell them? If so can we talk ?
Thanks guys!
JeffG

Top Bottom