new to this sight. my first upload 300 win mag

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from edfarmer67

edfarmer67

Hello all.
I enjoy reading all of the posts on this websight.
I have learned alot about turning pens and other stuff from here.

I thought it was time to upload one of my recent pens.
This is a 300 win mag purchased from little river crafts.
I used a copper cigar pen kit for the top of pen.
The wood is from a board that I purchased from woodcraft about a year ago. I think its paduk, maple, and walnut. The store's label did not say what the different types of wood the board was made from.

The finish is shellawax fricton polish. Still not sure I like the ca for a finish because I like to feel the wood.
This is going to a good friend at work as a thank you for all his extra help on the job.

Attachments

• 300 win mag pen.jpg
    300 win mag pen.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 229
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Ed you have crafted a fine looking pen. The fit is right on. The finish is good for a friction polish, I just happen to not be a big fan of that finish, durability problems. Like you, I do like the feel of good timber, however, for my customers, I prefer a more durable finish to protect the wood. I do understand your preference toward a good friction polish. Yours is very good.
Charles

Drstrangefart

Excellent! I love making that type of bullet pen, and yours is definitely top-notch! Have you considered just a few coats of thin CA and no other finish? I find it lets the texture of the wood through more than well enough while still making it very durable. But, that's just one opinion of many available.

Top Bottom