New to showing some work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Talfalfa33

Talfalfa33

Hello,

Just finished a couple and looking for some suggestions to some problems when I finish with CA on olive wood. I applied 10 coats of CA and after micro mesh, I end up with spots that are back doun to the natural wood. What i ended up doing was applying 3 to 4 coats of polyurathane with a soft cloth. Then following up with around 7 coats of CA finish.
IMG_0758.jpg
Here is my first full ebony and it turned out good. Just didn't realize how bad the scratches show up.
IMG_0759.jpg
The third of the night is of rosewood.
IMG_0756.jpg
Some others from the past.
IMG_0732.jpg
IMG_0734.jpg
My appologies for the pics being a little blury, don't have a good area for photo taking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have done the same thing and had to fix it. I think it simply means that you are being overzealous with the MM. I usually put on more than 10 coats and plan to take a few of them off. I start with 220 on wet sanding and take it down just a bit then cross sand, then 600 and cross sand, then the first MM and cross sand then I simply sand for the rest but it really doesn't take that much wet sanding. I hope this helps.

Robert111

For what it's worth, I always apply 15 coats of thin, trying for as smooth a surface as possible. If the surface turns out fairly rough, I add another 6 coats of thin anticipating having to do more sanding.

I sand as little as possible with the coarse grits, just enough to level the finish.

Now I proceed to finer grits, MINIMALLY sanding radially with the lathe turning. I want to keep those radial scratches to a MINIMUM.

I sand longitudinally with the lathe off thoroughly but not hard for each grit all the way to the 12,000 MM. Then I apply plastic polish with the lathe on. I find this a little easier than getting a buffing wheel onto the lathe for the final polish.

Hope this helps.

Rick P

I cant really tell much from your pics so.....what kind of camera are you using? You dont really need to be fancy with pics just set up correctly for your camera and have the light right.

bitshird

Olive wood is pretty oily, as is Ebony.
I usually wipe most oily wood down thoroughly with acetone, several times, let it evaporate for an hour or two since some does get into the wood fibers.
Then I apply 5 to 10 coats of thin, allow to dry over night, then 3 or 4 coats of medium again let them sit, at least an hour or two, Then sand, I usually start with 400, unless I've screwed up and gotten a rough CA surface while putting it on , but that's usually not an issue.
Go to 600, 800, 1000, polish with Novus, Buff and assemble. I'm not in that big of a hurry, besides I usually have 5 or 6 pens being made at a time, so I rather enjoy turning and finishing wood rather than Stainless Steel.

nativewooder

When you speak of the "scratches" showing on the ebony, were the scratches on the surface or on the wood? If you have scratches on the wood they will always stay there. If the scratches were on the CA surface then you need more practice with your sanding technique. Practice may not make it perfect but it will sure help.:wink:

Talfalfa33

Just wanted to say thank you for your help and suggestions.
On the ebony, just didn't take the time to mm them out of the CA.
And for the camera, it's a cannon sx30 digital with poor lighting at 1:00 a.m. I could have pulled out the minolta and waited for the film development but that a bigger hassle than blurry photos.

SDB777

I'm using a Canon SX10, and your camera is by all rights 20times better.

More light is the answer on the first three...the other photo's came out great and show off some really nicely done turningz!!!

Scott (where's the film go?) B

George417

After sanding to a 600 grit and buffing with 4 ought steel wool, I apply 12 coats of ca/blo, then use the beal buffing system. I get a very respectable finish on mine.

:)

Rick P

Your sx30 should be more than enough..........might double check the settings since all the pics are blurry. The lighting on the last two is not bad but the focus is way off! On most point and shoot cannons there is a little pic of a flower on the settings selection wheel.....thats the "close up" setting and designed to behave as close to a macro lens as your camera is able to do. Failing that move the camera back and zoom into frame on the pen. ALWAYS use a tripod.

Scott might be time to see your optometrist.........

PS I happen to love film an still shoot a bit of it.

Last edited:

Talfalfa33

Hello, the last two pics that are posted, believe it or not where taken with me cell phone. I have an LG galaxy 2

Top Bottom