A new set of Freedom Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bmac

bmac

Been lacking on turning Freedom Pens lately, just too many other projects that I'm trying to get done. But, I did manage to get a few done this past week. The woods include maple, oak, poplar, cypress, cocobola, walnut and corian.

Bobby
Louisiana

Attachments

• IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0346.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 289
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

The pens look great! I have a question about the Corian. What thickness of Corian do you use. I have 1/2 inch and glue it together. Are there greater thicknesses? If you glue up the blanks what adhesive did you use. I have used the world's strongest glue. At least that is what was on the package. Well, so much for that. I even tried JB Weld, the slow curing one. It held, sort of. I blew one blank apart and finished the others with very shallow cuts, almost like scraping. Then on light colored Corian the seam stands out like gangbusters. I know there is a better way, I just don't know wht it is.
Thanks.

Jim Burr

Banned
I can't speak for Bobby, but try a local counter top maker Les. They have cut-offs and scraps that they give away. I have a bunch of 3/8" stuff that I'm using for a project and it's barely big enough for a slim, but sure looks nice!

bmac

The corian I'm using is 1\2 and is plenty big enough for slimline. It just takes a little practice to drill them and light cuts with a sharp tool to turn them. I have glued up corian using CA glue and clamps and the glue line is very faint. The bigest problem I've had with drilling is when the bit exits the end, causing a blowout. To help prevent this I have cut the blanks a little long, drilled the length needed for the tube, and then cut what would be the exit end off.

Bobby
Louisiana

Krankyankee

I got some samples from a local builder and just CA glue them together ...came out fine...well.... fine for a newbe....

Attachments

• corian.jpg
    corian.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 105

BSea

Those are great pens for a great cause. :good:

I like how you turn the beads around the centerbands. That's an interesting touch.

Top Bottom