new sedona

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from steve_mcloon

steve_mcloon

Afzilia sedona in gold. The finish is CA followed by Beall buff.

This was my first test of my new photo tent from Harbor Freight. I put the tent in direct sunlight outside. Although I laid the pen directly on the white floor of the tent, the background in the photo came out slightly blue. (I used photoshop to whiten it.) I am not really sure how to correct the white balance.

I learned the hard way with this pen that it is better to blow the dust off with compressed air during sanding than to use a rag. Using the rag, I permanently packed the dust into some of the open grain, which resulted in a few fine white lines... turn and learn.

I wanted to show this pen with larger pictures (as most of you do) rather than thumbnails. However, I do not have a clue how to do that inspite of reading the instructions.

I am open to suggestions on anything.

Attachments

• 08-35A.jpg
    08-35A.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 08-35B.jpg
    08-35B.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 203
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nightowl

I just finished my first Sedona and I also used a CA finish. My finish is not nearly as good as yours though. I thought about Micro Meshing mine but just didn't. Good Job on yours.

steve_mcloon

Thanks all for your kind comments.

David (nightowl), I am still getting the hang of CA finish. I sand, micromesh & EEE the raw wood. Then I use many thin coats of CA and micromesh between each coat. (I skip the first few micromesh grits.) I find the first couple of CA coats are not very satisfying, but the shine builds with additional coats. I usually let the CA cure a few hours between coats, so it is a slow process. I am not sure how important the curing time is.

Steve (toolcrazy), my original picture was not over exposed. I think I induced the 'over exposed' look in photoshop when I was trying to improve the white balance.

Thanks again all.

hewunch

Looks good. About the sanding dust. You can get rid of most of it by using denatured alcohol. Works wonders for me.

Top Bottom