Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I knew the title would get you[}:)]:D

I wanted to make a pen with the following scrap....

2007316143729_copperkit.jpg

...and came up with this.....
( I did make a copper nib as well, but wrecked it when I pressed the tranny in[B)], I will make another nib if/when I get a metal lathe:D)The copper rope is 'stabilized' with CA and is now rock hard!!

2007316143941_copperrope.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by broitblat
<br />Very cool! Did you turn down the copper rope at all or use it at its original diameter?

-Barry

I tried once to turn the stuff, but it just ripped it up. On this I just concertina'd it to push a tube inside the hollow centre, then crimped on the lugs with a hydraulic hex crimper. I first put my mandrel rod in the tube so it wouldn't get squashed. I then rounded the hex shape off the lug to make the bands.

Thanks for comments. It does actually look a bit better than the pic shows[8D]

pete00

all right Skiprat
you need to to two things.

First send me some of your "medication" mine doesnt let me come up with stuff like this.

Second, i need to order a pound of creativity from you..

way to go !!!!

cozee

Being a heavy equipment technician, all I can say is "SWEET"! I've done a couple using braided line but never thought of battery cable!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />.....Did you coat the copper wire with anything?

No Frank, well just the CA to fuse it all together really. I coudn't believe how much it sucked up!!! Strange thing is, that I made sure the copper was really shiney bright and clean before dripping the CA on, but as soon as it touched the copper, it seemed to oxidize instantly. It sort of gives it an antique look. I will of course say it was deliberate, if anyone comments.[;)] I just kept on dripping it on till the surface looked wet.
I wish I had as much gloss on my wood pens with CA[:(!]

Pete, try three heaped spoonfuls of non-decaff coffee in an IAP mug. Works for me. I can't even blink for a couple of hours after finishing one of those bucket loads[8D]

stevers

Thought I'd seen everything, but you guys and gals never cease to amaze me. That is ingenious. Some day I'll be able to pick up some junk and say "hey, this will make a neat pen".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom