New sales pitch - machine washable

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from donpratt

donpratt

So my wife asked for a new pen the other day. Fair enough. The pen she had was one of my first so it wasn't all that great. Plus it was really showing some wear. She picked out the pen kit (Rockler's 'convertable' pen) and wood (cocobolo) and I headed out to the garage. When I cut into the blank, I could tell it was going to be a pretty pen - lots of figure and color variations. An hour or so later, I bring in her new pen and we both oooh and aaah over it.

Fast forward a couple days and I get a call at work. She was doing laundry and heard an odd 'clunk' as she's taking clothes out of the drier. There in the basket is her new pen. She said she nearly collapsed and do I think I can fix it. I figure worst case I'll just make another pen. I've got more wood from that block of cocobolo, so no big deal.

When I got home, I was pleasantly surprised. The pen actually didn't look that bad. It was dull, and still had a little water in the mechanism, but seemed otherwise unharmed. Let it dry for a few days, then some buffing and a new coat of renaissance wax, and she's good as new :)

Attachments

• P1000671.jpg
    P1000671.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 413
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

We should run John Cameron Swayze videos on pens. Carl
Takes a wringing
but goes on writing.

Did time in the dryer
but couldn't look finer.

Nothing could be cleaner
than a Cocobolo _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Cocobolo and tide
then dry, looks like pine

I left my Cocobolo in the dryer
now its survival is due to someone higher.

dontheturner

Thanks to you all

As a comparative ''newbie'' can I thank all today's posters? I have been entertained all this dark evening going through todays postings and pictures, of fantastic pens. I have produced, almost 500 pens, since coming here, two years ago, and we soon hope to interest the local department store - ( they will not talk to us, till we can offer a quantity!) Again Thank You. - Quality - every one of them. dontheturner.

Jgrden

As a comparative ''newbie'' can I thank all today's posters? I have been entertained all this dark evening going through todays postings and pictures, of fantastic pens. I have produced, almost 500 pens, since coming here, two years ago, and we soon hope to interest the local department store - ( they will not talk to us, till we can offer a quantity!) Again Thank You. - Quality - every one of them. dontheturner.
Don, we love you to death, but get out of that white shirt and tie. I spent forty five years in banking, wearing what you have on. You need to liberate yourself.
And I am impressed with your success in placing your pens at a store. Congratulations.

dontheturner

Jgrden , Wowee! How wrong can you be? NOBODY! but nobody, from the West, wears a top, here in Thailand! (the Thais do, but not us) That, was at a wedding in UK, several years ago. Shorts only, and you are welcome for a cheap holiday!

Top Bottom