New poster, critique requested

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from agfox

Status
Not open for further replies.

agfox

Hello folks,

Long time reader, not so often poster :) These are my first photos worth looking at and I could use all the learnin experience you can give me. Using a photo booth in a box, sony 5.0 megpxl oldie camera.

Basic slimline, but it seems that shape and style is the only thing I sell :) Wood is some exceptional curly koa, and I may be biased, but I love it... Enduro finish.

Thanks,

Nathan

Having a little photo problem..

KillerKoaPen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Can't see the first picture and the second is viewable. Am I to understand that the second blanks were made from glued up fragments? It does give it interesting grain lines! I like the overall shape!!

Ron Mc

Your right. That is some very nice curly koa!
Good looking pen and welcome the the pen posting area.[:D]

Dario

Great looking Koa! [:0]

Picture clarity is great...just need better background (I think). Maybe a less busy one to pull all the attention to the pen. Color is also a bit too rich/loud for me. Just a humble opinion.

Nice pen [:)]

punkinn

One of my first slimlines is a Birds Eye Maple shaped just like that... I use it every day it's so comfy to write with for me. I like the unusual shapes, myself.

Photo-wise, I don't even have a box set up for my pens yet but I agree that a plainer background would be better (I think a white-on-white fine linen would work well). The person here who uses the seashells for props... not sure who that is (I'm new too), but I like those photos a lot.

Nice job on your pen!!
Happy Holidays,
Nancy

JimGo

I've done slimlines of that shape, and people love 'em! That's a beautiful piece of wood, and a nicely executed shape. The finish is tough to see, but it looks pretty smooth. I know you mentioned Enduro; what sanding technique did you use?

WRT the photo, I agree with the comments, the clip should be angled more in the camera's direction. The pic is okay for marketing purposes, but for here, especially if you want critiques, try something closer cropped so we can see more of the pen itself.

Over all, it's a nice pen and a decent pic; I'm anxious to see your next pics and pens!

Nancy, I think you're referring to my pics...thanks! [:I]

agfox

Thanks all for the kind words. The problem getting into turning a few months ago, isn't the turning... It's everything you have to learn to support it :) Sharpening, finishing, photography, marketing, salesmanship... It's daunting at first, and it's sites like this that help take the edge off.

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />I've done slimlines of that shape, and people love 'em! That's a beautiful piece of wood, and a nicely executed shape. The finish is tough to see, but it looks pretty smooth. I know you mentioned Enduro; what sanding technique did you use?

About the shape, personally I like the bulge smaller, but still there. But, when I brought samples to work I sold almost 40, and all but 3 were slimlines in that shape. With that shape, for me, it's all about the wood -- well maybe a little finish too. So I was real happy the way this wood came out.

I follow Wayne's instructions on Enduro here, and just a little learned experience tweaking. I warp speed wet sand to 600 and then start the micromesh. I know I overlap sandpapers a bit, but when you find something that works - don't fix stuff that ain't broke? :) I only differ in 4 coats of sealer and poly, 24 hours min in between. I really like the feel of it, the MM gets her real smooth, and it seems to be very durable so far.

I'll work on the background, there are some real good photographers here, good inspiration.

Thanks,

Nathan

dfurlano

Nice wood, great workmanship, very good photo and an interesting bulge. I don't like the bulge my self but if it sells thats what matters... The photo is really sharp with no hot spots and I like the background.

Thanks for sharing!

Scott

Hi Nathan!

That is a beautiful pen! I love the Curly Koa! That shape is what we sometimes call the "scallion" shape, and has been used by some very fine penmakers. I still remember some pens of this shape done by Pat Lawson - Man, those were beautiful pens! If this is what sells for you, why fix something that ain't broke?

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom