New polymer clay pens and blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CreativeCanes

CreativeCanes

These are two of my new polymer clay blanks on a Sierra Elegant Monarch & Monarch chrome & gunmetal
I call these blanks "Galaxy" and no two blanks will ever be exactly the same.
I really enjoy making these ones as you never know exactly how they are going to look until they are sanded and polished (you can see colors but the depth isn't really seen).
The pen with the stripe is also one of the blanks that are un-sanded and in my hand, so they shine up nice.
Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend ahead.

Attachments

• galaxy elegant monarch.jpg
    galaxy elegant monarch.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 379
  • galaxy stripe.jpg
    galaxy stripe.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 333
  • galaxyunsanded.jpg
    galaxyunsanded.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 465
  • slimlinegalaxy.jpg
    slimlinegalaxy.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 326
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Seriously .... you should have entered some of these in the polyclay contest. :p

Like ... who else round here is gonna give Toni anything like a challenge? hehe

CreativeCanes

I like both of those a lot. And the best part is there are no flowers!

Hehe Thank you, I am trying to come up with many different designs, as much as I love flowers and it's my main cane work, I love different and unique and that's what I hope to achieve mostly. I just made some Camouflage styles blanks as well, in hopes to make a more man friendly clay blank. Added a pic of the camo ones. :D

Attachments

• 20170203_072019.jpg
    20170203_072019.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 288

stuckinohio

Do you plan on selling the pen bodies with canes applied and already baked, but not assembled yet? Didn't notice them on your site.

Lewis

CreativeCanes

Do you plan on selling the pen bodies with canes applied and already baked, but not assembled yet? Didn't notice them on your site.

Lewis

I just started selling them (mainly in the Facebook group Pen Turners). I asked for some help to test out some blanks for me and sent out a couple to two people to try out for me and got good feedback, so I thought why not lol.
I don't have a lot of stock yet or bushings so I'm limited as to what I can make for the time being.
But so far, I can do the slimline, sierra & Jr Gent's.

CreativeCanes

I've only just joined the facebook casting group and the turners supply group. Are you part of one of those or is there another?

Lewis

The group I love is called "Pen Turning" you need to send Jerry or his wife Kristen a quick message to ask to enter into the group but it's a great group of people and lots to learn and see also auctions for all kinds of pen turning related stuff.
I just had two Auction's end in both the Pen turning and the turning supplies auction, didn't do so great in the supplies one. But oh well.

stuckinohio

You take clay and roll it thin then wrap around the tube. Next apply the thin clay cane slices and apply them in layers on top of the thin clay base. Gently roll tube till you are at bushing thickness.

Then bake.

At least that's my amateur, only done it a couple times, process.

Lewis

BeeAMaker

You take clay and roll it thin then wrap around the tube. Next apply the thin clay cane slices and apply them in layers on top of the thin clay base. Gently roll tube till you are at bushing thickness.

Then bake.

Lewis

Thanks!
I found this, https://youtu.be/NYhmgPVePt4
And others have turned them down also.

stuckinohio

You can turn them down, but depending on the pattern and how thin your canes are sliced, if you turn down too much it will ruin the look. Some of the canes will disappear or partially so.

CreativeCanes

Do you glue the clay to the tube after backing? I assume you guys then coat them with CA to get the shine? I have seen some encased in Acrylic as well.

I use a liquid clay on the tube itself for better adhesion before I bake, no glue, just sanded and polished. Certain clay's can get a glass like shine, others have a matte finish. :)

CreativeCanes

Then bake.

Lewis

Thanks!
I found this, https://youtu.be/NYhmgPVePt4
And others have turned them down also.

Some designs of mine are meant to be turned, others like the ones in my main post only need to be sanded.
The design in the picture here was a turned blank, the image doesn't appear until it's turned so I make them larger then the bushings. I don't have a lathe so I sent this blank to another turner to try it out for me and he liked it so he put it on a pen, (sorry dark pic).

Attachments

• 16443679_1234506493293384_1684491157_n.jpg
    16443679_1234506493293384_1684491157_n.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 136

BeeAMaker

Some designs of mine are meant to be turned, others like the ones in my main post only need to be sanded.
The design in the picture here was a turned blank, the image doesn't appear until it's turned so I make them larger then the bushings. I don't have a lathe so I sent this blank to another turner to try it out for me and he liked it so he put it on a pen, (sorry dark pic).

That's really nice work.
I picked up some some from a hobby store just to give it a try. They didn't have Indigo so I'll see if I remember the color wheel from elementary :)

CreativeCanes

That's really nice work.
I picked up some some from a hobby store just to give it a try. They didn't have Indigo so I'll see if I remember the color wheel from elementary :)

Thank you :) I love experimenting and seeing things come to life.
The color in that last photo was a custom mix.
But this chart may help, they have a lot of experiment colors as well on there. (I stick with Premo clay for it's strength and I avoid III as it's quite brittle). Mixing Colors | Sculpey

Top Bottom