New photo's in album

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Doghouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doghouse

I just posted up 2 new nurse's pens I turned this morning. Dogs got me up at 4:30 and could not get back to sleep. Figured it would be best just to turn something instead.

I could not get the diamond wood to take a good finish. It was out of a scrap, so it was all "end grain" and after 3 coats of shellawax just soaking in, I gave up. Judy loves it though.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Doghouse

I did a nurse pen in the standard slimline style, then looked at it around my wife's neck. It did not do anything for me. Judy took over the lathe for the night and started turning herself some beads for necklaces. This morning is when it hit me. These are not only pens, but they are jewelery so make it look less like a pen and more like a necklace!

Doghouse

The nurse's pen is one that hangs around the neck so that it does not get left behind some where. The top has a button that you press and it detaches from the "Necklace". I would more likely call it a Librarian's or Teachers's pen, but then again I don't sell the kits. :)

NCTurner

John,
To get a good (i.e. glossy) finish on dymondwood or anything similar, you usually have to seal the wood before applying your finish. I do this with at least one coat of thin CA, or more. If you'll apply a coat of thin CA after turning and before sanding, it also helps keep the colors from bleeding over into each other (especially important if you're using colorply!) Then begin sanding - you'll notice the thin CA soaks completely into the blank. Of course you can use a regular sealer if you so choose.

I do like your idea of making these pens look more like jewelry - I have 10 of them I'm about to do, and will incorporate your ideas! Tell your wife thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom