New pens, old pens, and a bad idea...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from toddlajoie

toddlajoie

Some recent pens that I thought came out OK:

I've been missing the feeling of wood replaced by the smooth CA finish, so I decided to make a few pens going back to the Hut PPP wax sticks for a while. I really liked the feel of these that I did before I had the CA down, so, yea they may not last as long, but while they do last, they feel GREAT!!

These are 3 of 4 blanks I got as an Asian Burl Sample Pack, 2 of the blanks were labeled as woods I've never heard of before, and could find little or no other information or other samples of, so if anyone has any info or other names they go by, I'm all ears...
Ambonya Burl on a Platinum Euro
Ambonya%20Burl%20Euro%20w.jpg

Livenga Burl on Black Ti Euro (not sure about this wood name)
Livinga%20Burl%20Euro%20w.jpg

Sindora Burl on Platinum Euro (not sure about this wood name)
Sindroa%20Burl%20Euro%20w.jpg

I'd never done any of the wider CB Slim styles, so I decided to check out what Woodcraft calls the Toni Twist, not sure what other names it goes by, but here's a tulipwood and an Asian Swirl Acrylic
Tulip%20&%20Asian%20Swirl%20Acrylic%20Toni%20w.jpg

I had seen quite a few posts talking smack about the Sedona pen kit, and I had never done one, but figured I would give it a shot, considering how much I like the nearly identical Navigator. This is Bamboo on a Chrome Sedona, and I think I like the Sedona just as much if not more than the Nav...
Bamboo%20Sedona%2001w.jpg

Bamboo%20Sedona%2002w.jpg

I had made a Sketch Pencil with Stabilized Buckeye Burl nearly a year ago soon after I started making pens, and had been using it as my shop pencil when doing some stuff around the house. I managed to loose it many months ago when tiling our bathroom floor, and recently found it while cleaning the yard for the fall, I was surprised that it survived the summer exposed to the elements this well. The lead was warped and waterlogged, but the wood, considering it is stabilized but unfinished, held up quite well and it really just needed to have the dirt and grass wiped off of it.
Found%20Buckeye%20Burl%20Sketch%20Pencil%20w.jpg

Now for the shame of showing the fruition of a bad idea. Recent threads on making pens without tubes brought to mind the idea of making a pen with just only the ends of the tubes glued in, and the minimal hole drilled through, just enough for the refill to fit through. I figured it would look pretty cool, but it turns out I was wrong... Here's the abomination, rendered in canarywood on a chrome Navigator.
The%20Skinny%2001w.jpg

The%20Skinny%2002w.jpg

I know, it's hideous, but hey, we have to live up to our mistakes... Kick away...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Without the try and fail pens we would never move forward in our designs and our techniques. Nice pens and although I wouldnt think much of your last pen sitting out on your table for sale, as a trial and error pen its not that bad. I believe I have seen worse.
Mike

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
I have often wondered how long the hut ppp finish last on a pen? I do use it on pens that I give away to the nursing home employees that my mother is in, it is quick and looks good. your euro's are really good.

Jim Smith

Good looking pens and a nice story about finding your lost shop pencil. As far as the last pen being a bad idea, I disagree with you. While I'm not crazy about the look of the pen, it very well may be a good idea in the very first stages of development. I would be concerned that the pen would be much weaker in the section that does not have the brass tube in the center though.

Thanks for sharing, especially the last pen as there are many people that would have stashed that one away and never told anyone about it since it didn't come out the way you intended.

Jim Smith

Russianwolf

Does anyone know the contact info for the ASPCP (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Pens) That pen is obviously starved and near death. :wink:

Nice lot, I even kinda like the last one. How does it feel in the hand?

jbthbt

I've had more than my fair share of the "It seemed like a good idea at the time" pens. In my experience though, I put them on the table and there's always someone out there who'll absolutely love it. It's weird though, because the pictures almost hurt your eyes to look at it. It looks photoshopped, almost not real.

dasimm

very nice work... People here keep lifting the bar. Nice try on the last one - w/o the trial and error of our work we would never improve.

BTW - the fact that you put it up for all to see is awesome.

Thanks

toddlajoie

I don't know guys, all these encouraging statements may spur me on to try some of the REALLY strange ideas...:biggrin:

I would be concerned that the pen would be much weaker in the section that does not have the brass tube in the center though.

Yea, I may not have fully explained that. I was really concerned that it was going to either rip apart without the tube glued in the center or something, so the center does have a slimline tube glued in, which when finished does just fit the rollerball refill. I think I turned it down to around 0.300 or so, but if I was sure that I could keep the wood together without it, I could probably get the middle down to about 0.260 or so. the rollerball refill clocks in at .246, so a 1/4 inch hole is probably the smallest you could get away with on a rollerball.

How does it feel in the hand?
That's the really strange part, it fits rather nice, if not just a little too short. The indentation is right about where the pen hits your hand, just a little too far forward, so it sits nice. Unposted it is quite usable but posted balance is another thing. with the cap posted it is overly top-heavy.

Russianwolf

How does it feel in the hand?
That's the really strange part, it fits rather nice, if not just a little too short. The indentation is right about where the pen hits your hand, just a little too far forward, so it sits nice. Unposted it is quite usable but posted balance is another thing. with the cap posted it is overly top-heavy.
That's why the only postable i make is the Stretch, they are all horribly balance posted.

Padre

Todd, as usual your pens are gorgeous as is your photography. Wow. I'm still trying though brother! :)

Here's an idea for the last pen: Make it out of clear acrylic, the whole thing, lose the tubes, fill it with sand, and you have an pocket egg timer/sand clock. :)

medemt

I guess I'm the weird one in the bunch, but I like the last one. My first thought was that it would feel good in the hand. I think every pen has an appeal to someone. I guess that is the beauty of the limitless creations that can be achieved while turning.

Remember, they laughed at Picasso! Not too many laughing now!!!

Dan

toddlajoie

Todd, as usual your pens are gorgeous as is your photography. Wow. I'm still trying though brother! :)

Here's an idea for the last pen: Make it out of clear acrylic, the whole thing, lose the tubes, fill it with sand, and you have an pocket egg timer/sand clock. :)

LOL!!! that would be cool!!

I figured some Weight Watcher distributer may want it...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom