New Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Darkshier

Darkshier

12265 s Strang Line Rd Apt 515 Olathe Ks 66062
So round 2 of the puzzle pen went better than the first but not without its mistakes either. In my super tired state I put a part on backward and pressed it together thus the gap. The Second pen I made today was going to be a captured ring pen but I fat-fingered it during the separation and broke the ring so I went ahead and sanded the area down and finished the pen. Bocote body with a gun metal slimline kit with a trimline clip (accidentally grabbed a trimline and didn't realize it so I made due. Stupid mistakes I should not have been turning today. On the bright side I have two pretty decent pens and all the tools made to try again on the captured rings.

Attachments

• puzzle pen.jpg
    puzzle pen.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 236
  • captured ring.jpg
    captured ring.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 190
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I can imagine that puzzle pen would be a bear to actually turn. That type of pen would require a nice sharp tool so as not to put too much stress on the parts and cut them smoothly. The other pen is really nice also and I like the idea of a captured ring on is. Can't wait to see one made with it.

Mike

Darkshier

12265 s Strang Line Rd Apt 515 Olathe Ks 66062
Well I could disassemble it but right now with the tools at my disposal I would destroy the pen. I've attempted it a couple times. The disassembly kit is on my to get list but there are other supplies I want first. As far as turning goes I only sand it down to the desired size. It takes a lot longer but it is better than taking the chance of destroying the blanks.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I really like the puzzle pen, I may have to try one of those. The slim is nice as well and you did well with your save. I'm sure your next try at a captive ring will be great.

Hendu3270

Yeah, once you're able to disassemble the puzzle kit, I would switch the blanks over. Would be interesting if you had a small section of the puzzle blank left over to turn a custom finial for that Navigator.

Hendu3270

Yeah, once you're able to disassemble the puzzle kit, I would switch the blanks over. Would be interesting if you had a small section of the puzzle blank left over to turn a custom finial for that Navigator.

I'm not following Chris.

Might look nice if you had a few small sections of the puzzle pieces to create a small custom finial to place on the end of the cap (to replace the small black finial that comes with the Navigator kit).

1_navigator.jpg

Hendu3270

It was definitely above my skill level when I tried it the first time as well. But we turners have a way of, getting things done. Each time you try something new, and it doesn't work, you definitely learn something useful. Give it a shot and good luck. :wink:

Top Bottom