New to penmaking - here are my creations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from becker47

becker47

Hello to all and thank-you for all of the tips and advice that I have been taking advantage of. I have been woodturning for about 10 yrs and woodworking for 20+. Last month I took the plunge into pens....downside is it more additive that all my other hobbies. First challenge was the CA finishing technique...but thanks to all of your advice and experience, it is pretty easy to apply and I let it cure overnight before sanding to 12K.

Here are pictures of this new hobby...and gifts for family and friends...

Comments, constructive suggestions.

M. Becker
Jacksonville Florida

Attachments

• African Blackwood Fountain (2).JPG
    African Blackwood Fountain (2).JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 189
  • African Blackwood Roller.JPG
    African Blackwood Roller.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 139
  • African Sandalwood Fountain.JPG
    African Sandalwood Fountain.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 163
  • Coffee bean Wall Street click.JPG
    Coffee bean Wall Street click.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 194
  • Wall Street Black Palm.JPG
    Wall Street Black Palm.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Ambrosia Rollerball.JPG
    Ambrosia Rollerball.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 160
  • Lavender Resin Sierra.JPG
    Lavender Resin Sierra.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 178
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

becker47

Thanks, I'll have to double check. The label from Woodcrafter indicated Black Palm.

1080Wayne - Thanks for the reply, I used to live in Jasper and then the St. Albert/Edmonton area for a combined 13 yrs. Hope things are not to cold this time of the yr.

jttheclockman

Welcome to the world of pen making and being you asked for critism I will put my 2¢ out there. I think you need to get the bulge out of the center of the pens. It distracts from the kit. If you insist on a bulge then make it alot more gentle and alot less. On the sierras make the hump from bushing to bushing and again gradual. Other than that they look respectful.

terryf

Welcome to IAP. Nice pens, great fit - your previous experience with wood shows.

You might want to download a little program called irfanview. It has an auto adjust colors selection which will brighten your photos considerably.

Thanks for sharing :)

David Keller

Welcome to the addiction! It looks like you're off to a good start. As for criticism, I agree with John T... I'd lose the bulge. If you like the full figured look, I think a very subtle convex curve looks best... Just my opinion.

1080Wayne

The palms don`t have annual growth rings , which are visible on your pen .

A Chinook for Christmas , and another forecast for New Years . No complaints

Thanks, I'll have to double check. The label from Woodcrafter indicated Black Palm.

1080Wayne - Thanks for the reply, I used to live in Jasper and then the St. Albert/Edmonton area for a combined 13 yrs. Hope things are not to cold this time of the yr.

Polarys425

Welcome to the world of pen making and being you asked for critism I will put my 2¢ out there. I think you need to get the bulge out of the center of the pens. It distracts from the kit. If you insist on a bulge then make it alot more gentle and alot less. On the sierras make the hump from bushing to bushing and again gradual. Other than that they look respectful.

Have to agree as well. Gradual is the key, and for some reason anything more than a very slight bulge that runs end to end doesnt look at home on a Sierra/Wall St at all.

Heres a straight BTB Wall St II, for example...

Attachments

• PC280159.jpg
    PC280159.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

becker47

Everyone,

Thanks for the comments, pics and suggestions. They are very much appreciated. I have downloaded IrfanView and will play with this program this evening.

Top Bottom