New Pen Turner ..Pens #22 and #23

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from darthintel

darthintel

Hello All!
I'm a pen turning "newbie" and below are pens #22 and #23 for me...

Pen #22 is turned out of Ebony .
Pen #23 is turned out of Crushed Sun Flower Seeds .

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 347
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 382
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Are you casting the sunflower seed blanks, or ??

Very nicely done. But now that your in the twenties....I don't think we can consider ya a 'newbie' any more:biggrin:

Scott

I think you're doing CA finishing and your bushing approach is very nice. It may be time you take on a new title like intermediate; beginner, newb, and novice do not define you anymore as far as I can tell. You have made some very nice pens. Those Dakota Burl blanks can be difficult.

BSea

Are you casting the sunflower seed blanks, or ??

Very nicely done. But now that your in the twenties....I don't think we can consider ya a 'newbie' any more:biggrin:

Scott
I agree. Let's see 1 & 2:wink:.

And the sunflower blank is from CSUSA (I think).

darthintel

Thanks everybody for the kind comments. I've been tackling wood, acrylics, and segmented wood ... and compressed materials like sun flower seeds.

I bought the sunflower seed blank out of a clearance bin at my local Rockler wood store. I turned a little, and then used thin CA on the ends to prevent splitting. After more turning, I used thin CA again on the entire blank and let it soak in to hold it all together. After first rough sanding, I CA'd again to ensure gaps were filled.

All my wood finishes are using Doctor Woodshop Walnut Oil / Carnauba Wax / Shellac friction finish ....3 coats . The Ebony wood was also Doctor Woodshop Walnut Oil / Carnauba Wax / Shellac friction finish.

The Acrylics I use the multi color sanding pads wet, and the Polish bought from PSI.

I owe all my success to the Woodchuck Pen Pro outfitted with a round carbide tip. I couldn't get the flat blade to cut. Also all the good videos / information from this site.

I need to work on a CA finish...but hesitant to do so...as I'm allergig to CA fumes from my RC airplane building days.

Still a "Newbie" :biggrin:

BSea

Thanks everybody for the kind comments. I've been tackling wood, acrylics, and segmented wood ... and compressed materials like sun flower seeds.

I bought the sunflower seed blank out of a clearance bin at my local Rockler wood store. I turned a little, and then used thin CA on the ends to prevent splitting. After more turning, I used thin CA again on the entire blank and let it soak in to hold it all together. After first rough sanding, I CA'd again to ensure gaps were filled.

All my wood finishes are using Doctor Woodshop Walnut Oil / Carnauba Wax / Shellac friction finish ....3 coats . The Ebony wood was also Doctor Woodshop Walnut Oil / Carnauba Wax / Shellac friction finish.

The Acrylics I use the multi color sanding pads wet, and the Polish bought from PSI.

I owe all my success to the Woodchuck Pen Pro outfitted with a round carbide tip. I couldn't get the flat blade to cut. Also all the good videos / information from this site.

I need to work on a CA finish...but hesitant to do so...as I'm allergig to CA fumes from my RC airplane building days.

Still a "Newbie" :biggrin:
BTW. Very nice work. I didn't say that in my earlier post.:redface:

I also have a reaction to CA fumes. I bought a respirator (organic version) from HD. It does a pretty good job. But if I do a lot of CA then I think it gets into my sinuses through my eyes. It's really only bad when its too cold outside. Otherwise I have the garage door up, and a fan blowing the fumes away. I love wood pens, but I probably do more PR because of the CA problems.

Jgrden

Is that true Ebony? Your finish is absolutely beautiful. It is the way Ebony should look. I have been trying to make Ebony pens that look as good and don't split. You may have found the secret.

darthintel

Is that true Ebony? Your finish is absolutely beautiful. It is the way Ebony should look. I have been trying to make Ebony pens that look as good and don't split. You may have found the secret.

Is it true Ebony? I don't know...but I bought it at my local Rockler wood shop...it said Ebony ...maybe it's beginners luck !

I have read many posts about Ebony splitting, so I was careful not to heat up the blank, except during the friction polish....but still kept the heat down.

It was really slow drilling...took my time allowing the bit to cool. The round carbide tipped wood chuck pen pro had no problems and made quick work.

Top Bottom