New Pen & New Backdrop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveAxelrod

SteveAxelrod

I've been wanting to try a white satin background for my pen photos and this Majestic Jr rollerball seemed like the perfect candidate to give it a try. I'd like to know what everyone thinks about this background as compared to my typical framed with black velvet background photos. Thanks!

Attachments

• Majestic Jr & Silver Green (F+).jpg
    Majestic Jr & Silver Green (F+).jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 278
  • Majestic Jr & Silver Green v2(F+).jpg
    Majestic Jr & Silver Green v2(F+).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 225
  • Majestic Jr & Silver Green v3(F+).jpg
    Majestic Jr & Silver Green v3(F+).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 225
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Rather than flat on paper etc angled at a slope supported one end can give separation.Using one light either side and a lighter strip light on top cancels most of your disturbing shadows. If you would forgive this ordinary example of what I do repetitively. This is using stuff I had to indicate how it comes up.Steve if you send me a pm with your phone number and E Mail I will send you pics of my ever so simple set up.

Kind regards.

Peter

Attachments

• DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

Woodchipper

I tried taking photos with a white towel as a background. I found that going to a light grey or a pastel color gave a better contrast. White background with white pens doesn't offer enough contrast, IMHO. Those are great looking pen blanks!

Talltim

Rather than flat on paper etc angled at a slope supported one end can give separation.Using one light either side and a lighter strip light on top cancels most of your disturbing shadows. If you would forgive this ordinary example of what I do repetitively. This is using stuff I had to indicate how it comes up.Steve if you send me a pm with your phone number and E Mail I will send you pics of my ever so simple set up.

Kind regards.

Peter

Peter,

I would be very interested in seeing your ever so simple set up as well.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I prefer the lighter background. I recently started using a used paper holder like this (mine is metal): https://www.staples.com/Deflecto-Mini-Tabletop-Sign-Holder-20005RT/product_291450.

I draped my fabric over the top, with two square pen blanks under the front of the fabric. This allows me to ditch the pen holder but still get an angle shot.

I do love how you frame your photos - a nice feature.

Attachments

• IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 163

SteveAxelrod

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. These photos were just snapshots I took to test the background. I just laid the background on a flat surface put the pen on top and used ambient light. The photos turned out pretty nice considering. Next test will be done using my light box.

gbpens

Steve, shadows aside I would go with a little more contrast for that pen. Perhaps a silver or grey satin or even velvet background would offset the pen better than white.

magpens

Hard to say. . It depends on the pen.

This pen is very nice !!

But I think the background is too much like the pen ... not quite suitable in this case, IMHO

OZturner

Great Pen Steve.
I can see the edges of this "Light Toned Pen, on this background, than I can with some of your Darker Pens, on the Dark Velvet Background.
Regards,
Brian.

randyrls

I like it a lot more than the black, although a different color would probably be more suitable for a white pen.

Hobby / Craft stores sell felt sheets in various sizes and colors. These make a good back drop for pen photos. Fabric shops sell cloth in various colors with a satin finish.

I also have an invisible stand to hold the pen. A small piece of thin wood with a pin thru it. The pin goes thru the felt and into nib (remove the ink fill).

Last edited:
Top Bottom